Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

New Manual Driver: Am I Missing Something??

Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are manual transmission synchronizers? - HowStuffWorks

How Manual Transmissions Work - HowStuffWorks

maybe those will help.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freewill
I think it would be easier to describe how to have sex to the uninitiated but here goes. . . Shifting up is pretty easy. The gas pedal should be neutral (neither accelerating of decelerating). As you lift the gas pedal, slip the gear lever into the the next gear as the engine speed drops. On a synchromesh tranny the gears will pretty much drop right in. If they don't, blip the gas just a little in neutral and try again. Shifting down is a bit trickier. With a neutral gas pedal, slide the gear lever toward the next gear down, blipping the gas just a tad as you move through neutral. If you hit the gas just right, the gears will slip right in. If you miss it, no harm done because a synchro box will refuse to go into gear. You just hafta blip the gas a little more or less while in neutral and try again. Think of it like merging onto the freeway. You are a gear, the traffic is the other gear. If you match your speed to the traffic you can slip right in. If you miss matching your speed to the traffic you pull over and report the accident. (Unfortunately there are a buttload of drivers who don't understand this simple concept at all!)
Tell this to my brother who swore for years that he could shift without the clutch in his ford. After time he had to hold the shifter in 2nd and 3rd. The clutch is there for a reason. If you want to shift without a clutch get an auto car with the "manual shift option". Just my .02
Old 12-24-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MontyJK08
The clutch is there for a reason.
And I couldn't agree more! I just pick a gear when wheeling in mud and water fording. Hasn't let me
Down yet!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

I am new to off roading so bear with me. I want to make sure I understand this.

I understand not using the clutch while in deep mud, deep sand, and while fording water. Getting sand and or dirt in-between the clutch disk and the flywheel can cause damage. But I am also reading in this thread that in an effort to never use the clutch while on the trail just leave it in 4lo and 2nd gear all the time, never shift, never use the clutch. What are you supposed to do when you want to stop? Just let it stall?

I may be interpreting this wrong but if I am on the beach I should never shift and stall every time I want to stop? Or if I am just running a trail regardless of mud or sand to use the clutch as little as possible. Not using the clutch doesn't make sense outside of being in deep mud or buried in sand.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by orngkrate
You have to use the clutch to shift. Don't shift in deep water, pick a gear and stay in it until you are back up on "dry land" and do not use the clutch in deep water/ mud; it will ruin your clutch
False, I use the clutch to get rolling, and then never touch it again to shift gears. Just let off the gas and shift..
Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEPSNBEER
But I am also reading in this thread that in an effort to never use the clutch while on the trail just leave it in 4lo and 2nd gear all the time, never shift, never use the clutch. What are you supposed to do when you want to stop? Just let it stall? I may be interpreting this wrong but if I am on the beach I should never shift and stall every time I want to stop? Or if I am just running a trail regardless of mud or sand to use the clutch as little as possible. Not using the clutch doesn't make sense outside of being in deep mud or buried in sand.
You're misunderstanding. Use the clutch like normal (except under water/mud/etc). The only difference is that when you go to start moving, it will require little to no throttle. You can simply release the clutch slowly and it will roll forward

When coming to a stop, stop the same way you would in 2wd, clutch and brake.

The reason I/we said stay off the clutch is because when crawling rocks some people tend to feather the clutch and that will burn it up. On the beach while above water, clutch like normal, just depress and release slower.

However; if you ever find yourself in water or mud and you need to stop you can stall it or just turn off the key.

Does this help?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orngkrate
You have to use the clutch to shift. Don't shift in deep water, pick a gear and stay in it until you are back up on "dry land" and do not use the clutch in deep water/ mud; it will ruin your clutch
Interesting.... I shift both our manuals without the clutch all the time

You need to match the engine RPM with the transmission gear speed (manual synchronization) and it will slide right into gear.

If you are not moving then, the wheels and transmission speed is 0 and this isn't possible.

Edit to add: It looks like this has been covered some. I jumped the gun on the reply and didn't read the whole thread. MY BAD

Last edited by jnabird333; 01-07-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Interesting.... I shift both our manuals without the clutch all the time You need to match the engine RPM with the transmission gear speed (manual synchronization) and it will slide right into gear. If you are not moving then, the wheels and transmission speed is 0 and this isn't possible. Edit to add: It looks like this has been covered some. I jumped the gun on the reply and didn't read the whole thread. MY BAD
Yes it has been covered but for the average driver on the beach this isn't necessary. It's doable but if you're not sunk in something why not just push the clutch down? It's there for a reason.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK505
So I've been reading up about going off road with a manual transmission and I understand some things, but there are a few things I need cleared up if y'all can help. I plan on tinkering around in the fields I have for practice tomorrow. 1. I know not to use the clutch as much as possible: no clutch in mud/water and starting it in 4lo and such, but how do I shift without depressing the clutch? just gradual pressure? Can this only be done in 4lo? Or can It not be done at all without grinding gears? What about down shifting? 2. When going through mud do I want to be in 4hi or 4lo? (don't plan on sinking it in mud, but you never know) 3. Anything else you can think of for words of advice! Most of you have probably forgotten more than I know so it's greatly appreciated (My jeep conveniently came without an owners manual )
Wow how things have changed in 5 months
Old 01-07-2015, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
You're misunderstanding. Use the clutch like normal (except under water/mud/etc). The only difference is that when you go to start moving, it will require little to no throttle. You can simply release the clutch slowly and it will roll forward

When coming to a stop, stop the same way you would in 2wd, clutch and brake.

The reason I/we said stay off the clutch is because when crawling rocks some people tend to feather the clutch and that will burn it up. On the beach while above water, clutch like normal, just depress and release slower.

However; if you ever find yourself in water or mud and you need to stop you can stall it or just turn off the key.

Does this help?
Yes, that was how I always understood it but when I read some of these posts I started to second guess myself. I know from experience that getting sand between the clutch disk and flywheel will eat the disk up very fast.

Thanks for clearing it up

Quick Reply: New Manual Driver: Am I Missing Something??