Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Newbie Q for manual owners...

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Q for manual owners...

Please forgive the newbiness of this question...

How’s the slow maneuvering up steep inclines or nudging over inclined steps/boulders, etc? Watching some of the Project-JK vids, it almost looks like the manual roll-back might make it harder to navigate the terrain. Also, what's the wear and tear like for the clutch due to riding the friction point?

Any thoughts are appreciated as I am thinking of getting a manual 2dr down the road.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HumblePie
Please forgive the newbiness of this question...

How’s the slow maneuvering up steep inclines or nudging over inclined steps/boulders, etc? Watching some of the Project-JK vids, it almost looks like the manual roll-back might make it harder to navigate the terrain. Also, what's the wear and tear like for the clutch due to riding the friction point?

Any thoughts are appreciated as I am thinking of getting a manual 2dr down the road.

Thanks
If you get your 2012 like your sig says, it will have a feature on it called hill assist. This will prevent the Jeep from rolling for about 2-3 seconds after you let your foot off the brake. If you're good with a clutch it will last a long time, off road or on road. If you don't have a lot of experience, you will want to practice a lot or the clucth will get burnt up pretty quick.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock the the auto
Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autos are so girls can eat, talk on the phone, and put on makeup instead of driving.

Six speed all the way.

You will never notice the fall back on hills. I let off the clutch really lightly as well as the brake in 4lo never giving any gas. Doesn't stall, just crawl, oh yeah
Old 06-08-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info folks. I've driven a manual for quite a while so doubt this will be too much of an issue...just haven't driven one in this type of terrain...

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

One thing to also keep note of, that took me a few times to discover is if you are in 4-lo and in 1st or 2nd gear you can be holding down you're break all day long and it will not stall. the Jeep will automatically apply a certain percentage of throttle to prevent stalling.

This really is nice since you barely have to touch you're clutch. just release the break and give it a little gas.

you can test it out at home so you can get the feel for it.

- put jeep in 4lo
- hold down the break
- put it in 1st or 2nd gear (using clutch)
- release clutch but keep holding on break. giving no gas.

I've found this feature rather nice even in daily commute traffic with constant stop, move 3 ft, stop, move another 3ft kind of traffic. just pop the jeep in 4lo and you only have to release the break to move those 3ft until you stop again.

you're clutch and leg will love you for it. See this post for more information:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=anti+stall

Last edited by Alias; 06-08-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Default don't forget

In 1st and 4-low you can start the Jeep with your foot off the clutch. That's right. With the Jeep turned off, in 1st and 4-low, don't touch anything with your feet and just start it.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can concur that the JK manuals with the hill holding works great. I did not have to heal/toe the brake and gas, or clutch and brake, at all while going up the Ravine trail at Superlift ORV Park last weekend. It is a fairly long hill climb covered in rocks. The only time I touched the clutch is if I got hung up and had to back up a little to correct my line.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above, hill assist makes rock crawling super easy,
Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

idk about you guys but i turned hill assist off a long time ago. i hated it. if you're going to crawl up a steep incline, depending on your situation, you should use 4lo. thats what i use for rocky inclines and rocky descends. no need for any assistance, 1st gear in 4lo going downhill will keep you crawling at a slow speed. going up hill you can just crawl as well, and even if you roll back after you let off the brake, a tiny bit of gas if any at all will get you going again

Quick Reply: Newbie Q for manual owners...