Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Newbie wanting to go offroad

Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie wanting to go offroad

I have caught the itch to take my Jeep on some trails. It is my first Jeep and have only had it for a few months, I dont plan on doing any trails too extreme as it is my daily driver and as a college student I can not afford any major repairs to go along with my car payment. I was wondering what other mods would seem necessary to take my Jeep on some 2-3 diamond trails as I'm not familiar with how difficult the different ratings are (Only thing the website for park recommends is tires sizes for each one).
It is a 2012 JKU Sport w/ 3.73 gears

Mods so far:
2.5" Skyjacker lift
33" BFG Rugged Terrain tires
WARN Stubby Rock Crawler Front bumper w/ grille gaurd
Bushwaker Flat Fender Flares (Should arrive sometime this week)

The ORV park close to me is Superlift in Hot Springs so bonus points if anyone has experience there

Last edited by etracy21; 04-18-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bimmer335
dont want to break anything lol well gues you are not leaving the mall parking lot then
"Major" would be the key word there. Not worried about a few bumps and bruises. But thanks for contributing to the thread

Last edited by etracy21; 04-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

If you aren't familiar with the trails or area, just be cautious. If you do any water crossing, make sure of the depth, same with mudholes. You will be surprised what your Jeep can do and you will get hooked. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040720 R.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	306132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2480..jpg
Views:	271
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	306133  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by etracy21
"Major" would be the key word there. Not worried about a few bumps and bruises. But thanks for contributing to the thread

^^
Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by moparguy
If you aren't familiar with the trails or area, just be cautious. If you do any water crossing, make sure of the depth, same with mudholes. You will be surprised what your Jeep can do and you will get hooked. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips. I've had it in a little bit of mud but thats the only chance I've gotten to have it off the pavement. I'm guessing it would be best to try to find some people in my area who have some experience before i head out there by myself.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the tips. I've had it in a little bit of mud but thats the only chance i've gotten to have it off the pavement. I'm guessing it would be best to try to find some people in my area who have some experience before i head out there by myself.
heres an even better tip, dont go out there by yourself! Lol. Easier to have a buddy there already to tow you out, than trying to talk a friend into driving into the middle of nowhere to do it when hes sitting on his couch!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK_R&D
heres an even better tip, dont go out there by yourself! Lol. Easier to have a buddy there already to tow you out, than trying to talk a friend into driving into the middle of nowhere to do it when hes sitting on his couch!
Haha good point. Sounds like the next thing on my list is "Convince one of my friends to buy a jeep to go wheeling".
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just do not wheel alone, tagg along with other jeeps, thenyou will decide which things youll do and on which youll pass. with experience you will be ding more and more, and looking for more mods eventually
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by geman
Just do not wheel alone, tagg along with other jeeps, thenyou will decide which things youll do and on which youll pass. with experience you will be ding more and more, and looking for more mods eventually
Always looking for more mods . Was wondering some more that I should look at sooner than later. As far as protection goes I know I know i need to invest in some rock rails. Any recommendations for some medium trails? I hear a lot of people go with the ACE sliders with their lower price?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Always looking for more mods . Was wondering some more that I should look at sooner than later. As far as protection goes I know I know i need to invest in some rock rails. Any recommendations for some medium trails? I hear a lot of people go with the ACE sliders with their lower price?
If you're trying to conserve $$, I'd say look for some Rubicon rock rail take offs. I've seen a few posts on local craigslist for them brand new off 2012 Rubis.

If you're not too worried about $$, I'd say just look for rock rails that attach to points on the frame if possible (or at least body bolt mounts). Anything that attaches directly to the body might cause damage depending on what you slide up against (not from personal experience, just from what friends/members have told me, YMMV).

Quick Reply: Newbie wanting to go offroad