Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Off Road Driving Tips

Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road Driving Tips

So I am new jeeper, and I am soon going to go offroad. Do you y'all have any tips/advice for driving in mud and small rocks? (I am completely new to offroading so some pointers, even the basic ones, would be nice) Also is there an online video or driving course i should take before I Drive offroad? Thanks Guys, 1st Jeep, 1st time offroadin.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

my advice would be make sure that you go with someone that has experience that can help you on the trail. Never wheel alone. The first time i went off roading was with a local jeep club and they were more than willing to help me out. rocks can be very tricky so make sure you have a good spotter. as far as mud, make sure you know roughly how deep it is before going in or else you could end up in alot of trouble.

Last edited by ScubaSteve913; 08-02-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Hook up with a local club and find some guys that are willing to help you go at a pace that works for you and your jeep. Not sure where you're from but maybe you can find a 101 class or something. Also know that you will eventually do some damage weather it be minor scratches or whatever but it won't stay NEW forever. One last thing I've been trying to do which I learned here was run it stick for a while and learn what kind of wheeling you like and what mods you will NEED vs. Want/"look cool"
Old 08-02-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I ever get to play in is mud and I have a lot of experience with it. Until you get a winch (if you plan on getting one) always have a buddy willing to pull you out and a strap long enough and strong enough to pull you out. If you don't KNOW how deep a hole is, find out before you drive through it. I've been in mud I thought was dry and next thing I know, I'm frame deep and needed a tractor to drag me out.

In most terrain, driving skill has more to do than lots of mods, but in mud, tires with good tread can make or break it. The best driver can only so so much with all-terrains.

Most importantly, don't feel like you have to break your comfort level. As you get to know your jeep and get to know your skill level, things will become more comfortable for you to do. But if you think something is a bad idea, it's probably a bad idea.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before heading out off road you will want a recovery kit:
strap
gloves

A way to air down and inflate your tires. For the air pump nothing less than a viair 400p depending on your tire size. Anything larger than 33's you will want a faster air pump. Some people have CO2 bottles.

Also recommend the following:
tools-you are going to want/need to disconnect your front swaybar if you don't have a rubicon
first aid kit
tire repair kit
hi-lift jack- your factory jack will be just about useless to you out on the trail due to the uneven terrain.

Not required but you will want it anyways:
CB

As has already been stated, wheel it for a bit with the locals, ask what works and doesn't in your area for your JKU. But one other thing you may want to consider before heading off the pavement are rock rails. Minimum recommendation is rubi-rails that you may be able to pick up for free at your local mod shop before they head off to the dump for the week/month. ACE rock rails are also an inexpensive option until you decide you want/need heavier units like rockhard or poison spyder.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sent you a private message Mr. Bluesky.

Quick Reply: Off Road Driving Tips