Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Off Road Trailers & Towing

Old 10-29-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I like the lifetime trailer for casual camping, but that is not a good off road trailer. You would need ot swap out the entire axle, new wheels & tires as well as wheel wells, then you need to review the hitch and swap it out for a pintler or rotating ball. After all that, plus the original cost, might as well buy a true off road trailer.
~$150 matching rims (probably need for any trailer build)
~$100 (used) to $200 (new) matching tires (again, likely any build)
~$300 new custom 3500 lb drop axle and 5.5 on 5 hubs
~$300 new hitch arrangement
~$0 ditch the old fenders

That's where I will be with my Lifetime. The great part about this is the ability to build it up as I go. Right now, half of these parts are in my garage, waiting for the other half, and I still have a functional trailer. All told, I will be into this for less than $4k (granted, I ordered it when it was on sale for $3k)

Best part is, I can haul an ATV on top if I want, or 900lbs of whatever I can fit on it. Also, I no longer need to beg/borrow/steal a friend's truck if I have a large load, I can convert to a utility trailer in 10 mins.

Originally Posted by COjeeper
I'm interested in the Lifetime Trailer (was looking at the Jumping Jack before the smaller Lifetime came out) as I don't want to climb up into the tent. Also want my 100lbs dog to be able to get in the tent. The adventure type trailers are awesome, but I personally have to rule out the "rooftop" type tents.

I am conceding that I can't take the trailer everywhere, but will use it more as a basecamp. However, with the lightweight of the trailer (I don't have a quad to put on top), the trailer could be pulled into several locations I go. Not everywhere, but it'll go where I need it to go and do what I need it to do.
PM me if you want to come by and take a look at one... I am VERY local to you.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did any of you debate getting a roof rack instead? Eager to hear your pros/cons on the trailer vs. roof rack debate.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

A m100 if you start looking you can find at a decent price and build as you see fit. I don't do a lot of ccamping, we do day trips on the trails and beach so I'm setting it up to grill and to carry all the trail stuff. Works great with a family of 4 and a dog, I don't have to much room in the jk. Trailer was a 1000, did a spring over and 36" tires
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20101126_101344.jpg
Views:	2271
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	104998   Click image for larger version

Name:	68781_1645938231857_1338956485_31710992_5255590_n.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	104999   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20101126_101432.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	105000   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20101126_101507.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	105001  
Old 11-27-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by COjeeper
I'm interested in the Lifetime Trailer (was looking at the Jumping Jack before the smaller Lifetime came out) as I don't want to climb up into the tent. Also want my 100lbs dog to be able to get in the tent. The adventure type trailers are awesome, but I personally have to rule out the "rooftop" type tents.

I am conceding that I can't take the trailer everywhere, but will use it more as a basecamp. However, with the lightweight of the trailer (I don't have a quad to put on top), the trailer could be pulled into several locations I go. Not everywhere, but it'll go where I need it to go and do what I need it to do.
I guess I just don't get it..........is just buying a REAL good tent and setting it up on the ground out of the question anymore...???
Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
I guess I just don't get it..........is just buying a REAL good tent and setting it up on the ground out of the question anymore...???
It's not out of the question. That's what I'm doing currently when flying solo. But if anyone is to go along and I take my large dog with me, the 2dr just doesn't provide much storage space. End up looking like the Clampetts. So, a trailer would help haul gear. And if I'm going to get a trailer, might as well explore the options.

I don't like the roof rack options for storage (or tent) as the roof storage racks tend to whistle down the highway and my JK will not fit in the garage with the rack on. So seems to be easier to just back up to the trailer, hook up, throw the rest of the gear on and go.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi

I have a 2dr too and yes....I understand what you're saying. I've never been a fan of the rooftop tents either. I used to guide out of the Cabella's Guide Tent here in AK. Fantastic tent. I had more than a couple hunters say to me that they thought that tent saved their lives. Even the 6 man tent takes up very little room. I would think with the inside loaded and say one of those racks that hook into a 2" receiver packed as well, I'd have enough room for a camping trip with my family. But I do understand the idea of a trailer. I guess I just wouldn't like to be towing around all that extra weight.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
I have a 2dr too and yes....I understand what you're saying. I've never been a fan of the rooftop tents either. I used to guide out of the Cabella's Guide Tent here in AK. Fantastic tent. I had more than a couple hunters say to me that they thought that tent saved their lives. Even the 6 man tent takes up very little room. I would think with the inside loaded and say one of those racks that hook into a 2" receiver packed as well, I'd have enough room for a camping trip with my family. But I do understand the idea of a trailer. I guess I just wouldn't like to be towing around all that extra weight.
I hear you on the concern about towing the extra weight. The lighter weight of the lifetime trailer vs its bigger brother jumping jack caught my attention. Had thought about going the receiver route for gear. Instead I installed a gear rack in the back so the dog goes underneath and the gear above. Guess I could still do a receiver rack, but want to explore the options. I like the idea of fast tent setup as I have a tendency to pull into a campsite after dark.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co

That's where I will be with my Lifetime. The great part about this is the ability to build it up as I go. Right now, half of these parts are in my garage, waiting for the other half, and I still have a functional trailer. All told, I will be into this for less than $4k (granted, I ordered it when it was on sale for $3k)

Best part is, I can haul an ATV on top if I want, or 900lbs of whatever I can fit on it. Also, I no longer need to beg/borrow/steal a friend's truck if I have a large load, I can convert to a utility trailer in 10 mins.

I agree with you dude. I personally think it the better option to go with.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co

I like that set up. I will have to check them out.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rutdigger
I agree with you dude. I personally think it the better option to go with.
You know your just going to pull out your measuring tape and fab one. My turn to build... Lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.

Quick Reply: Off Road Trailers & Towing