Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Off roading question:

Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Off roading question:

Not many people in the trails and tales forum, so I'll post here if that's okay.

I'm going off roading this weekend for the first time. I've tried shifting into 4wd a few times, just to practice, but half the time I grind gears. I've tried doing it while stopped and also while moving very slowly (less than 5mph). Should I be in neutral or in drive when I shift to 4wd? Advice on how to properly get into 4wd w/o grinding gears would be appreciated. Thanks. Also I have an auto trans if that makes a difference.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4hi, just pull the lever straight back
4lo roll less than 5mph, shift to neutral, pull back to 4lo (over and down) then back into drive, 1st second, or whatever gear you need
Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks.

And it is supposed to feel sticky, like you gotta struggle a little to get the shifter to move? Maybe it loosens up with use?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Thanks.

And it is supposed to feel sticky, like you gotta struggle a little to get the shifter to move? Maybe it loosens up with use?
Sticky? I don't know if I would say sticky, but it doesn't have the same 'loose' feel you get in a transmission. It's tighter, you need to muscle it around a little more. You can't 2 finger it thru the gears like an mt, you have to actually pull it out of gear and push it into gear. Does that make sense to you? It's kind of hard to put the feeling into words. The mistake a lot of people make at first, is trying to be to gentle. While you don't rip it into and out of gear, you do have to be a little firm with it, be positive and strong when shifting the transfer case and it will go smoothly. If you're tentative with it you will tend to get more gear clash.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yetibear
Sticky? I don't know if I would say sticky, but it doesn't have the same 'loose' feel you get in a transmission. It's tighter, you need to muscle it around a little more. You can't 2 finger it thru the gears like an mt, you have to actually pull it out of gear and push it into gear. Does that make sense to you? It's kind of hard to put the feeling into words. The mistake a lot of people make at first, is trying to be to gentle. While you don't rip it into and out of gear, you do have to be a little firm with it, be positive and strong when shifting the transfer case and it will go smoothly. If you're tentative with it you will tend to get more gear clash.
Well said - I agree with this description. It's not smooth as silk, and takes a little effort.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes that makes perfect sense. Thx.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the auto, you won't get the grinding (or at least not as much) if you put it in neutral.

Quick Reply: Off roading question: