Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Portable air compressor recomendations

Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the MV50 for more than 5 years. I'm very satisfied with it. I air down about every other time I'm out. It will fill up all my 32s from 15 to 35 without stoping. Hooks up right to the battery. It does get hot at the air fitting. I really love how it screws in to the valve stem.
The latches on the bag broke off after 2 years.
My air hose just broke in November. I bought one from them online for 12. It was here within a week.
Again. Impressed with unit and their service.
The following users liked this post:
LC Boyer (08-31-2019)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wright_uf
I've had the MV50 for more than 5 years. I'm very satisfied with it. I air down about every other time I'm out. It will fill up all my 32s from 15 to 35 without stoping. Hooks up right to the battery. It does get hot at the air fitting. I really love how it screws in to the valve stem.
The latches on the bag broke off after 2 years.
My air hose just broke in November. I bought one from them online for 12. It was here within a week.
Again. Impressed with unit and their service.
That's what I needed to know. Budget is tight as I'm buying new wheels and tires along with other stuff for my trip to Moab in April. Thanks to all.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

you cant beat co2
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this thread is a tad old but I just picked up a Slime HD compresor from wallyworld, $60, I used a rebate card from Goodyear and bought a 2 yr extended warranty for $5 so if I replace every year for the next three I think it will be good enough till I'm ready to set up something else.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Brown truck dropped off my new Superflow MV-50 today. I will never own an ARB compressor ever again. I won one in a 4WDS&UM Geostash contest. I had to rebuild it 3 times after failing during air ups on four 33's going from 15 to 25 psi, not to mention the numerous times the hose failed. The only people I've ever known to have locker issues were ARBs too, so yah, won't ever be buying those either.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Viair 350p for awhile. It was a nice little compressor. Worked awesome for 33's. Pretty slow for 35's and up though.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:48 AM
JK Newbie

I could not choose which one is better... in the end, chose VIAIR 400P.
I often drive off-road and the 400P is ideal for such conditions. He is very lightweight, inline tire pressure gauge and comes with battery cable.
Oh.. and importantly he can also provide high PSI levels. By the way, this article helped me to choose compressor : https://jeepequipment.com/portable-a...ors-for-jeeps/
Old 03-26-2019, 12:04 AM
JK Newbie

Smile Portable air compressor recomendations

Trail Recon had an interesting YouTube vid on inflation options. IMO it’s worth looking at. I’m now considering a tank instead of a compressor.

Also, check this review if you want more info.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by beepimajeep
Trail Recon had an interesting YouTube vid on inflation options. IMO it’s worth looking at. I’m now considering a tank instead of a compressor.
Brad makes some good videos that are relatively unbiased opinions which is nice! I would just note that tanks have their own drawbacks as well. The only perfect situation is to have both a tank and a compressor, and plenty of space to carry them both at all times. This is definitely one of those things you have to make a pros/cons list for both and determine what fits your specific use the best.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Brad makes some good videos that are relatively unbiased opinions which is nice! I would just note that tanks have their own drawbacks as well. The only perfect situation is to have both a tank and a compressor, and plenty of space to carry them both at all times. This is definitely one of those things you have to make a pros/cons list for both and determine what fits your specific use the best.
Agree that Brad does a good job on his videos and is mostly unbiased.

I think the tank/onboard air thing comes down to how often you need it and how long you can go without a fill-up (for the tank). For me, the tank is a non-starter as I seem to be the 'air station' for my friends....

Quick Reply: Portable air compressor recomendations