Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Question about using winch safety thimble on the trail

Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about using winch safety thimble on the trail

Jsut ordered a new synthetic winch line and decided to get a safety thimble instead of a hook. AfterI ordered it I thought of one question that i didnt know the answer too. How do u hook up to a stock tow hook on either a JK or TJ when u r trying to winch from them from the front? I understand that when you are winching urself you use tree saver and d-ring and when u winch another jeep with d-ring u just atttach to d-ring, just not sure about winching jeep with tow hook. can u slip the thimble over the hook or is there some other safe way. Lots of guys in my club dont have D rings up front only inthe rear and they stil have the stock hooks up front.

Last edited by Olean NY Jeeper; 08-12-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

nobody has a safety thimble?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does it have an opening big enough to just slide over the hook or...Use a shackle just as you would if you were hooking to a tree saver. I'm not a huge fan of open tow hooks though..make sure you use a winchline weight like a blanket or heavy coat cause if that hook gives the shackle and line will come shooting back..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	viking-wl-stL..jpg
Views:	74
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	81520  
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bennyhana
Does it have an opening big enough to just slide over the hook or...Use a shackle just as you would if you were hooking to a tree saver. I'm not a huge fan of open tow hooks though..make sure you use a winchline weight like a blanket or heavy coat cause if that hook gives the shackle and line will come shooting back..
Yeah, that is kind of what I am nervous about. I think TJ hooks are more substantail than JK stock hooks so not sure if it would work or not. Most people have shackles but there are few still running stock hooks. I guess u could just put he shackle on the hook and winch nice and easy.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought one of the advantages with synthetic rope is the lack of static load... if your rope breaks, you wouldn't need the blanket. No?

Last edited by jeep_n_co; 08-16-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Now that I am at my home computer, corrected my cell phone spelling errors
Old 08-16-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a good habit to get into..However, I was thinking more of if the hook were to bend or break then the end with the shackle would fly back...
Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would likely be ok with a load on the front tow hooks as long as the jeep you are pulling is not mired too deep. I'm with Benny on using something for the shackle flying back towards you, not worried about the line breaking, I am sure the tow hook would give before your line would.

Quick Reply: Question about using winch safety thimble on the trail