Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

recover gear writeup

Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It kinda does, I'm just looking for an inexpensive option so we have at least something when we go wheeling until we can afford some of the nicer gear.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cunnart
It kinda does, I'm just looking for an inexpensive option so we have at least something when we go wheeling until we can afford some of the nicer gear.
you would be 100% fine with a walmart tow strap. just make sure its rated to at liest 20k pounds, dont get anything with hooks on the ends and youll be fine. also like ive said before. tractor and farm supply stores have pretty good selections. but you will also want atliest one shackle too. thats the bare minimum. alot of people on the trails when they help you out of a hole want to use your gear for some reason, so its good to have it. the few times ive helped people who were good and stuck i used my gear because i know my gear and i know what shape its in and what its been through. but i think if your doing light wheeling, two tracks, light mud, youd be fine with that. or even an actual tow rope. kinda like the bubba rope in the 4x4 mags. something is better than nothing doesnt apply here because safety is key, remember that
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

foudn this video on youtube thought you guys would like to see the rigging i do. im the one in the blue hard hat and the harness on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_74I04HUI
Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Great info CooterBrown!! Thanks for taking the time & effort to put it together. Very informative. I will be keeping an eye out for future installments...
Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good info and a question

I read in my winch manual (superwinch epi9s) that I should periodically open the motor drain plug, disengage the clutch and run the motor for 10-15 seconds a pop until it's warm to the touch to allow moisture to fully escape.
Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent info CooterBrown!

30+ years a mechanical engineer in chemical plants, working around up to 300 ton cranes and I learned a lot from your post.

Thanks!

Note Cooter's post should be stickied!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CooterBrown
foudn this video on youtube thought you guys would like to see the rigging i do. im the one in the blue hard hat and the harness on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_74I04HUI
As per the others! Thank you for the information (now my question LOL)

I just bought an ARB Snatch Strap rated at 24000 lbs and I think I need to return it for one of less strength (17500 lbs). Per ARB's instructions and proper stretch, they say the snatch strap strength should be 2-3 times the GVM (5500 lbs on my JK Rubicon UNLIMITED). The 17500 lbs is about 1000 lbs over 3 times the GVM but I dont one with less strength.

(GVM = Gross Vehicle Mass)

Opinions????
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

I believe the 17.5K snatch strap is the correct one. That's the one I am saving up to get and it is the one ARB includes in their recovery kits. Those are well made straps.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great Info Thanks.......I have a question, I have heard that the more line you use the more power or strength you lose. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks for the Write Up
Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great info thanks!

Quick Reply: recover gear writeup