Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery Gear

Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do rocks, you should have a chain. If you use your HiLift for a short winch, a chain is good for that application too.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Well I go 4wheeling almost every weekend and me getting myself stuck is inevitable. I know I need some tow straps, a snatch block, some d-rings, a trunk protector, and a metal chain. Any brand recommedations or anything else that you veterans have found that comes in handy in those sticky situations?
Shovel
Old 05-24-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received my Warn winch kit from Northridge yesterday, really nice. It comes with everything except a strap.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

having a chain is good for pulling downed trees off the trail - that way you don't have to risk damaging your tow strap.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dayton
I just make sure that Doojer is in front of me with his TMAX and WOL is behind me with his PowerPlant. That's all the recovery gear I need.
i have friends like that...some even don't have recovery points front and rear. makeing extraction sometimes fun.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some of our offroad clubs around Calgary require front/rear towpoints and a CB so if you get stuck they can pull you back into action.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I think you need a chain; but not just any chain. Get 3/8 Grade 70 Tansport chain. Get a 20 ft length with grab hooks. But be very careful to get good quality domestic chain - no Chinese crap. Look in the phone book under "wire rope". My local store that sells wire ripe and rigging sells 20 ft of the above with a grab hooks for 40.00. Most hardware stores or ranch stores sell Chinese and they want about 100-110 to duplicate the above setup. You can also get domestic stuf from Grainger but the cost will be 70-80.00 (you'll have to buy the chain and grab hook seperately and put them together.

Chain has it's place in your recovery aresenal along with your tow strap/rope, tree saver, winch line extention etc.

Don't forget good shakles. Again no Chinese, get Domestic Crosby's or Norwegian Van Beest. I don't care what people say about the Chinese stuff; I work in the energy industry and see Chinese and Asian stuff fail on a regular basis. They just don't have the metalurgy down to be trustworthy on important gear.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

x2 on all of the above regarding chain. Yes, it does have it's uses....

...BUT, I've seen chain fail and I'd much rather be on the receiving end of a failed strap than a chain. Only use chain in limited circumstances.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Indy
Generally, I agree, no chains.

One situation where a chain would be better is if your only anchor for winching were rocks with sharp, jagged edges that could possible cut/wear through a strap.

Sounds like you have a winch - make sure you have a heavy pair of gloves to handle the cable with...
X2 yeah, no chain, I have seen bad things happen when they break....
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sgmrock
X2 yeah, no chain, I have seen bad things happen when they break....
And we've seen bad things happen when cables break too. I'll bet that most times there are problems with chains it's due to one of two things: either using the wrong chain (too light, wrong specs or worn) or using it for something it is clearly wrong for (like in conjunction with a tow strap or rope where you needed more length). In a static situation where there will be no shock load a chain can work just fine. I'm not saying the chain should be the first thing you pull out of your bag of tricks; it should probably be the last. But it does have it's uses and if you're going to carry one buy quality chain.

Quick Reply: Recovery Gear