Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery Gear

Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
And we've seen bad things happen when cables break too. I'll bet that most times there are problems with chains it's due to one of two things: either using the wrong chain (too light, wrong specs or worn) or using it for something it is clearly wrong for (like in conjunction with a tow strap or rope where you needed more length). In a static situation where there will be no shock load a chain can work just fine. I'm not saying the chain should be the first thing you pull out of your bag of tricks; it should probably be the last. But it does have it's uses and if you're going to carry one buy quality chain.
And thats why they sell synthetic winch lines.

Chain is only good for towing, and using it as anchor point. You cannot use chain instead of recovery strap. Straps have an ability to stretch out, chains dont. When someone is stuck in deep shit, chain will not do the trick because you can't "yank" with it, either it will snap, break recovery point, or bend something. Where with recovery strap, you just keep yanking, and it will use its "bungee" ability to aid the recovery.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

And that is why I said "static" above. I carry a yanker rope (which I prefer over a strap because it stretches more than the staps I've used), tree saver etc. I have 3/8 synthetic line on my Warn PP and a 3/8 x 5 synthetic extention.

My job requires that I work around this stuff all the time. I'm very safety conscious; and I carry a chain because sometimes, not often, it's the best tool for the job. And as I started out saying, if you are going to carry a chain, carry a quality domestic chain, new, that came out of a properly labeled bucket. A rusty length of "found" chain would scare the dickens out of me!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have broken a few chains in my day and never had anything bad happen. They just fell right to the ground. I always carry chain. For moving logs, stumps, rocks, and for my highlift to winch me out.

Chuck45 I am very interested in your chain. I recently broke my 5/16 transport pulling a stump. I went into a ranch supply store to buy the 3/8 and it was going to cost me about 100 or more. Where do you get your chain from and do they ship?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pete799
I have broken a few chains in my day and never had anything bad happen. They just fell right to the ground. I always carry chain. For moving logs, stumps, rocks, and for my highlift to winch me out.

Chuck45 I am very interested in your chain. I recently broke my 5/16 transport pulling a stump. I went into a ranch supply store to buy the 3/8 and it was going to cost me about 100 or more. Where do you get your chain from and do they ship?
That is my experience with chain too. it doesn't store energy like steel winch cable does.

I got my chain from D&M Wire Rope in Grand Junction CO. As far as I know they only deal locally. The next best place I have found is Grainger who does ship. You might want to be careful about your local ranch supply store. Two local ones, Murdocks and Western Implement, both sell Chinese chain and grab hooks. Our facilities mgr got stupid and bought an overhead crane of Chinese manufacture; it breaks all the time. I don't trust their metalurgy as it seems to be inconsistent.

This is the link to Grainger:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1DJV1

Hey - I decided to call D&M and they will ship out! They have the 20 ft of Grade 70 3/8" Transport Chain (they call it Binder Chain) made up with 3/8 grab hooks on each end that they will sell you for 40.00 plus shipping. Their phone number is 970-242-1144. Ask for the Grade 70 Binder Chain. They are good people and supply the energy industry around here.

I bought my D shackles from them too. If you need any they sell good American made Crosby's with a 4 3/4 ton WLL (working load limit) for a reasonable price. I also enquired as to the break point on the chain and shackles. Shackles rated break point is 6 times the WLL. Chains break point is 4 times the WLL so the 3/8's grade 70 chain (WLL is 6600) should not break unless stressed to 26,400. In a non-ballistic situation we'll never get close to this.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where we come from chains are mandatory, but whips are optional
Old 07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you very much Chuck45 $40 is an awesome deal. I plan on making a purchase as soon as I make it back home.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

After this weekend, I'm adding a collapsable shovel to my kit.

One of the fun things about hitting some mud, is when the mud stops and the dirt begins, it tends to look a little like a vertical wall Breaking stuff down with rocks and stumps or whatever you can find gets tiresome after a while.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

gotta get a trunk monkey..lol i would suggest a PULL-PAL if you can afford it and a handle all
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Just had my PullPal delivered; nicely done piece. Now I have to find a place to mount it so it's available but out of the way.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking into a recovery bag and saw two options. I'm not sure if I really need all of the stuff in the recovery bags. I don't have a winch and don't plan on getting one at the moment (I'm brand new to offrading and will start out taking things easy). Should I just get a tow strap and forget the entire bag?

1. Rugged Ridge
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92109_2200_07.htm

2. ARB
http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail....COVERY&cat=106

I know the ARB is a higher quality, but the Rugged Ridge is alot cheaper. Anyone have experience with either?

Also, anyone have the Rugged Ridge shovel? Is it sturdy?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92037_9001.htm

Last edited by bluejk09; 08-13-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Recovery Gear