Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Roll Angle

Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Angle

So I know for sure, after reading here that this no exact science...but I encountered the following situation....

single track 4x4 road....

____
______

for about 20 feet.... so on the way up both of your left wheels are up and your rights are down, ....on the right side, just a 40 degree hillside rolling into rocks and forests... ie. death....

so we go over it, and being a rookie, I'm you know whatting in my pants, buts it quick and its short, my friend drives the way down, and I'm again, trying to refrain from soiling myself...

so the question I have is... when it feels like its going to flip, is it really as close as it seems, or is it just a feeling but you can pass along...

is there an angle at which two wheels up two wheels lower, it will flip, or a rough estimate, and how do all you nuts do this regularly....

i'm stock, with disco swaybars, aired down to 20 psi, hardtop, but no front panels today...

and again this was sketch ( Or was it?)

only my second time on a real trail, so someone give me some jeeping xanax...
Old 08-11-2010, 02:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing

so the question I have is... when it feels like its going to flip, is it really as close as it seems, or is it just a feeling but you can pass along...

only my second time on a real trail, so someone give me some jeeping xanax...
This "feeling" you mention is officially known as Pucker Factor.

Without knowing the horizontal and vertical center of gravity of your rig, Pucker Factor is all you have. Pay attention to it.

Your rig's configuration is too variable to have a permanent calculated rollover angle.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Has anyone tried to

measure their roll over angle? I was thinking of hooking mine up to a forklift and seeing how far befor it goes over, but I am afraid of making a boo boo and dropping the thing.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would think it would have to be 60 degrees or more for a stock, unlifted jeep. In my experience it always feels worse than it actually is.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have often wondered the same thing. I remember way back in the day 4x4's use to have balance guages that would show you side to side and front to back angles.

I too get the pucker factor on some angles and would be curious to know how far I could push if I really needed it. I agree that the "pucker factor" is important to pay attention to, but the daredevil in me would like to fight that.

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Roll Angle