Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Shafer / White Rim Road Information

Old 11-27-2017, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Shafer / White Rim Road Information

Good Day,

I have a permit for 6 nights on the Shafer / White Rim Road in Canyonlands. And I had planned on pulling my Teardrop trailer with me in February 2018.

I was getting information on the Notom Road about traveling it. I mention that I was taking the Shafer White Rim to that person. They replied that they wouldn't take a trailer on the White Rim road.

Has anyone here taken he Shafer White Rim road and pulled a teardrop trailer? I've seen couple videos on YouTube where people have done it. Just wanted some first hand information.

THANKS,
Dave O
Old 11-28-2017, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have run the White Rim Trail and we have pulled an off-road teardrop with our JKU so I think I can help you here.

First question, what direction are you going to run, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Second question, are you thinking of running it alone, or are there going to be other vehicles in your party?

Third question, six nights? You booked six different campsites, in order, on successive nights?

The reason I as about direction of travel have to do with the different obstacles that are relevant to a trailer. On the "West side" you have a shelf road alongside of a river for a ways, there isn't room for two way traffic, south of there is a climb up to a mesa with some ledges, tight corners, and no pull-off or backing areas. These lead into the second question because if you're traveling with others and have good comms between vehicles then they can run ahead of you, then clear you forward on those stretches. As for the campsites, you have to be there at your reserved time and date so I just want to make sure you lined them up correctly.

Would I do it? Absolutely, but not alone, you'll need the assistance on those stretches I described.

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-29-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Shafer Reply

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
We have run the White Rim Trail and we have pulled an off-road teardrop with our JKU so I think I can help you here.

First question, what direction are you going to run, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Clockwise

Second question, are you thinking of running it alone, or are there going to be other vehicles in your party?

No other vehicles but I do have another person coming along.

Third question, six nights? You booked six different campsites, in order, on successive nights?

Yes, successive nights the clockwise flow.

The reason I as about direction of travel have to do with the different obstacles that are relevant to a trailer. On the "West side" you have a shelf road along side of a river for a ways, there isn't room for two way traffic, south of there is a climb up to a mesa with some ledges, tight corners, and no pull-off or backing areas. These lead into the second question because if you're traveling with others and have good comms between vehicles then they can run ahead of you, then clear you forward on those stretches. As for the campsites, you have to be there at your reserved time and date so I just want to make sure you lined them up correctly.

I'm going to get some walkie talkies so my friend can walk ahead and look around corners.

Would I do it? Absolutely but not alone, you'll need the assistance on those stretches I described.
Originally, it was going to be alone but a friend. like I said can come along. Looking forward to it.

THANKS for the reply. I have since found a place I can park the Teardrop for a couple days and just take the Jeep. Be tent camping instead of Teardrop camping but for the first time that's probably not a bad idea. Then hopefully comeback in warmer weather and take the Teardrop along. I REALLY appreciate your reply a great deal.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DaveO
Originally, it was going to be alone but a friend. like I said can come along. Looking forward to it.

THANKS for the reply. I have since found a place I can park the Teardrop for a couple days and just take the Jeep. Be tent camping instead of Teardrop camping but for the first time that's probably not a bad idea. Then hopefully comeback in warmer weather and take the Teardrop along. I REALLY appreciate your reply a great deal.
Anytime! I'm looking forward to doing it again soon. We had a blast. Our Jeep now has a Roof Top Tent for those routes and shorter trips where an off-road trailer isn't an option.

One recommendation I'd make is to cut your White Rim trip down to three days, the spend the other three days down in the Maze District.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

I forgot to ask, what trailer did you get? Post up some pics!
Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Photos

I forgot to ask, what trailer did you get? Post up some pics!
A TC Teardrop. This was at Washington State Park in Missouri earlier this year. I was on my way to Texas to see my cousin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01528.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	676256
Old 11-30-2017, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DaveO
A TC Teardrop. This was at Washington State Park in Missouri earlier this year. I was on my way to Texas to see my cousin.

Attachment 676256
I've seen their site but never have had the chance to examine one of their trailers. We rent from Off the Grid Rentals and take one of their SoCal Teardrops 459Crawlers when we go. They've been great to us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	otg.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	676258
Old 12-01-2017, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Anytime! I'm looking forward to doing it again soon. We had a blast. Our Jeep now has a Roof Top Tent for those routes and shorter trips where an off-road trailer isn't an option.

One recommendation I'd make is to cut your White Rim trip down to three days, the spend the other three days down in the Maze District.

I found rood top tents right after I ordered the teardrop. But that's ok, I like it. Yes there are places it can't or shouldn't go but such is life.

The friend that is coming with me, well,..... he's never been west of Kansas City. We are going down through Texas, the Big Bend Area, then up through New Mexico, into Arizona, Grand Canyon and up to Zion then north to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands.

I have to have him home in early March, then I'm going back out and hoping to walk he Narrows in Zion, south bound as an overnighter. Then hopefully North to Montana. we'll see.

Be talking to you,
Dave

Quick Reply: Shafer / White Rim Road Information