Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Snow psi

Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow psi

Alright guys, it's about to start snowing here in Kentucky (hopefully). Last year, it hardly snowed at all, but it should be better this year. I've heard mixed opinions on snow. Is it better to run normal road pressures (32-36psi) so that the tires will cut through the snow, or would lower psi do better in snow just like normal offroading? Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's a great question! I would assume that airing down would help. My logic behind that is, it would provide more surface contact, therefore giving better traction. This year would be my first year owning a jeep and getting to drive it in snow. (If it snows) I would just experiment with it. Maybe air down to 20psi or so. That's only my opinion. I may be wrong. Interested to know what others think also.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Glad this thread came up, I was wondering the same thing because this will be my first year with a jeep and snow. I'm sure the lockers will help
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the conditions. In general deep snow you want to air down so you float on top, shallow snow stay aired up so you can grip the road surface beneath the snow.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

So engaging lockers are pretty much the same for snow as in mud?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
It depends on the conditions. In general deep snow you want to air down so you float on top, shallow snow stay aired up so you can grip the road surface beneath the snow.
I figured that would be the case. We don't get deep snow here so staying aired up is what I'll do!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the quick, positive responses y'all! I drove my jeep through 4 inches of snow last year on my was back to the college I was at, but I didn't think to air down or anything, as I was extremely inexperienced I didn't get stuck, but I definitely agree, it seems low psi is better for deep stuff and high psi is better for shallow(er) stuff.

On second thought, I'm buying a set of BFG km2's (5 tires on stock rims) from my buddy, whose the leader of our Cincinnati crew. I'd assume those are better in snow than the stock sr-a's because of the better venting, although it was designed for mud. Does any of that hold water? (Pun intended)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

I have km2 35s and was also wondering that. Hope they perform well
Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AEVJK21
I have km2 35s and was also wondering that. Hope they perform well
I just bought 34's. he included the rims for 400 bucks total. He's a major bro! Takes me out of the "stock" category finally!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gforce!

I just bought 34's. he included the rims for 400 bucks total. He's a major bro! Takes me out of the "stock" category finally!
That's an amazing deal! Definately have a good guy there! Welcome to the beginning of the modding process

Quick Reply: Snow psi