Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

So, I'm an idiot and got my new JK stuck yesterday. Lessons and questions.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Hmm first I have heard of not clutching in water but maybe I haven't been in deep enough water. Remember numerous times when I have driven in to mudhole and had to reverse to get out. No issues ever however I dont believe I tried to be a Mud Master before lifting my Jeep either....
Yup, don't push the clutch in if you're up to the frame in muddy water.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Divided_Wood
Point taken. Like I said, I'm new to this. I'll avoid the mud for a while until I can get some new tires, and I learned pretty quickly the stock tires aren't great for mud

I'm more wondering about any other concerns I should have after being in the water you see here. It seems to be running fine but I'm just trying to be safe here. After getting stuck, of course. Whoops.

I have to appreciate that your avatar picture is of you actually stuck in the mud.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to respond but many have already stated my own thoughts. Now, you can just smile, you have learned. Now, time to correct. IF you repeat the same mistake, then, we shall take your jeep from you.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by B 1000
I have to appreciate that your avatar picture is of you actually stuck in the mud.
What can I say? I like a little self-deprecating humor.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

U live u learn....when ur with a group it's actually fun getting stuck lol
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post

Mud pits are great occasionally for 5 seconds, but what does it take? Put it in 4 low, 2nd gear and hold the gas........ not much skill involved. Perhaps you'll see the light someday. to each their own tho!

Originally Posted by amick218
I don't want to use skill, worrying about my new jeep tipping into or off rocks isn't fun to me lol, but to each their own!
ok guys I like this line of thinking but what do you think of mud covered rocks? you get the best of both worlds lol so you think that stack of rocks is a hard crawl? try it with some mud! look if all your running is dry rocks you don't have the skills in mud like a true mudder. i'm not talking about puddle splashing or deep mud holes those are easy im talking about muddy ledges and muddy passes on mountaintop roads/cliffs with only and inch or two to spare. trails that eat your jeep, turn down em and ur sunk to the axle or frame. ruts so deep u still bottom out. try climbing that slick rock with mud. you wont get half the places you used too. traction is very important and if you mud or snow wheel you know a lil about good old traction. I enjoy all types of terrain but honestly mud is far worse than rocks. aside from the damage it can cause, it can change a trail from one day to the next. dry rocks? well lets just say there's prob a lot more rock stacking going on than is really admitted a lil mud/snow can turn a lil rock into BIG trouble
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post

Mud pits are great occasionally for 5 seconds, but what does it take? Put it in 4 low, 2nd gear and hold the gas........ not much skill involved. Perhaps you'll see the light someday. to each their own tho!

ok guys I like this line of thinking but what do you think of mud covered rocks? you get the best of both worlds lol so you think that stack of rocks is a hard crawl? try it with some mud! look if all your running is dry rocks you don't have the skills in mud like a true mudder. i'm not talking about puddle splashing or deep mud holes those are easy im talking about muddy ledges and muddy passes on mountaintop roads/cliffs with only and inch or two to spare. trails that eat your jeep, turn down em and ur sunk to the axle or frame. ruts so deep u still bottom out. try climbing that slick rock with mud. you wont get half the places you used too. traction is very important and if you mud or snow wheel you know a lil about good old traction. I enjoy all types of terrain but honestly mud is far worse than rocks. aside from the damage it can cause, it can change a trail from one day to the next. dry rocks? well lets just say there's prob a lot more rock stacking going on than is really admitted a lil mud/snow can turn a lil rock into BIG trouble

Haha since moving down here to TN I know all about mud covered rocks and I hate it. Turns rock crawling into rock bumping. I don't care what kind of lift, tires and lockers you have, some of the obstacles you just have to hit with momentum, can't just crawl it. Not so much fun IMO. And of course the trailered rock bouncer buggies with 600 hp don't give a damn and just romp on the gas and tear the trail apart. No thanks. However, muddy hill climbs are sometimes fun. I'm completely over puddle jumping tho
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
Haha since moving down here to TN I know all about mud covered rocks and I hate it. Turns rock crawling into rock bumping. I don't care what kind of lift, tires and lockers you have, some of the obstacles you just have to hit with momentum, can't just crawl it. Not so much fun IMO. And of course the trailered rock bouncer buggies with 600 hp don't give a damn and just romp on the gas and tear the trail apart. No thanks. However, muddy hill climbs are sometimes fun. I'm completely over puddle jumping tho
so where do you wheel then? offroad parks? lol I love the Appalachians for this very reason. Appalachian trails are almost always wet. I always thought its was so funny that WOL did that HEARTLAND : The 2012 JK-Experience and acted like they did everything hardcore out east but they didn't even touch the mountains! stayed far from Kentucky lol
Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
so where do you wheel then? offroad parks? lol I love the Appalachians for this very reason. Appalachian trails are almost always wet. I always thought its was so funny that WOL did that HEARTLAND : The 2012 JK-Experience and acted like they did everything hardcore out east but they didn't even touch the mountains! stayed far from Kentucky lol
I wheel at an Offroad Park in Oliver Springs called Windrock (aka coal creek). It's still fun, just limits on what you really want to do with a daily driver. Know my jeep could do more with 35's but i'm not into bouncing and hopping over stuff. I miss Rausch Creek PA!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Was this off Q street right by the Elkhorn River? If so I've eyeballed those same pulloffs many a time, just never hit them before.
If you're interested in wheeling that Jeep more look Just Jeep of Omaha, it's a great club. We go wheeling at Tuttle Creek in Kansas once (or more) a month as a group, and there's tons of guys to help out with any questions you find.

Quick Reply: So, I'm an idiot and got my new JK stuck yesterday. Lessons and questions.