Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Stock on the beach

Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksolomon91
I meant to ask you about that actually matt, what CB radio do you have and how was instillation? I'm thinking about getting one but wanna know more about it before i start messing with the wiring and stuff.
A CB radio is a great thing to have on you rig if you plan on doing ANY type off wheeling (beach included) IMO. i bought it off of quadratec for i think $150 with out shipping and the seperate mounting bracket. installation was easy and came out really neat (no wires showing) and the clarity is great. i also love the look of the CB antenna sticking out form behind the spare. Easy to do, simple wiring, comes with everything. plus its a lot of fun to use, especially if you ever plan on going on a wheeling trip somewhere legit.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_11.htm
Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Dont think I can add anything new to the advice thats been provided here. I have a stock X and I have never aired down on the beach and I have been in some deep sand. Four high is about all I have ever needed to keep me moving. This is my first jeep and I have been a little "adventursome" with the sand just to see what I can do. I may have to try airing down the tires next time just to see what difference it makes. The only thing I will stress that has been said before is:

Plenty of clean water to rinse the sand and salt off I have seen it eat up some nice trucks that were taken care of here. Enjoy.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
A CB radio is a great thing to have on you rig if you plan on doing ANY type off wheeling (beach included) IMO. i bought it off of quadratec for i think $150 with out shipping and the seperate mounting bracket. installation was easy and came out really neat (no wires showing) and the clarity is great. i also love the look of the CB antenna sticking out form behind the spare. Easy to do, simple wiring, comes with everything. plus its a lot of fun to use, especially if you ever plan on going on a wheeling trip somewhere legit.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_11.htm
If not an integral option on your CB, you may want to consider investing in an SWR meter to tune your antenna for best match (improved range when transmitting).

Somewhere in my garage, I have an one stored, dating back to my YJ days. For the JK, I bought a hand held Midland 75-822. I can use it with a full size antenna should I want to invest in one in the future.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering, how would a completely stock jeep do on the beach? Not looking to do anything crazy. Just looking for a nice peaceful day on the sand with the the girlfriend. What do you guys think?
Ksolomon, for simplicty get these www jcwhitney.com/traction-units/p2008172.jcwx , They quickly got me unstuck on the loose, dry sand ruts in Montauk. "TRACTION UNITS - Never get stuck in mud, sand or snow again-;and avoid towing charges. These sturdy plastic and brass units are life-savers when your vehicle gets stuck. Just put them in front of your tires, accelerate gently and the traction grippers set you free. No mess, no spinning tires, no costly towing bills. Won't corrode and resists temperatures up to -;20°. Compact-;store them easily in your trunk. 22" long when opened".

Sure, when stuck you could instead try rocking the Jeep, or throw a log/plank of wood under if get stuck, but these are light, fold up small, and good to have in Jeep all the time.

Last edited by westchester; 05-10-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also keep in mind, it can be illegal (as it is around here) to drive on the build up sand dunes. They help prevent beach erosion as they are pushed up and grasses planted on them. Driving on them can get you a hefty ticket. The rolling hills of the dunes can look tempting to drive on but be warned!

Other than that, seems like everything has been covered. I could add that with the recovery gear, other than a shovel and whanot, a couple pieces of sample carpet works real well for getting yourself out of a dug hole if you get stuck. it distributes the weight of your jeep and keeps you from digging any more.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Just wondering, how would a completely stock jeep do on the beach? Not looking to do anything crazy. Just looking for a nice peaceful day on the sand with the the girlfriend. What do you guys think?
put it this way bro, if my jeep did this stock, then the beach is a breeze for literally anyone!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice pics matty just air down thats the biggest thing.. i go on the beach all the time
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Great pics...My only advice regarding sand...gets everywhere and if your a clean freak, can be a pain getting it out
Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

dont get too close to the water or you will end up like this.... a stock jeep will do just fine, iv gone on the beach with a 1982 dodge truck 2wd... and pretty much EVERY other vehicle i have owned including a 99 dodge neon (well i didnt own it but the girl i was dating at the time did)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sunk..jpg
Views:	206
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	68931  
Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Question Also looking for sand advice...

Going to Silver Lake Dunes, MI. First time wheeling in the sand, although I have experience in the sand...HMMWV's and MRAP's...but that's a whole different class of vehicle.
I have a stock 4dr Sahara, 18" wheels with stock Bridgestone tires.

I have read many comments and appreciate all the great advice!
Still looking for some advice - keeping in mind my vehicle.
Looking for a nice easy fun day at the dunes with the kids and my wife.

4hi vs. 4lo?
what gear in 4hi / 4lo?
air pressure? sounds like between 8-15psi??
ESP on or off??

Thanks !

Quick Reply: Stock on the beach