Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Synthetic or Wire cable

Old 06-08-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on what Carolinajk said i to have cable. I work for Kiewit construction company and all we use is cable and we inspect are ringing every time before we use it and I do the same thing with my wench getting a bad spot with your Jeep and rely on a synthetic line I don't think so cable all the way.If you have a 10k wench and a 3/4 shackle your weakest link would be your synthetic line.Just inspect it every now and then.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
That is an interesting video. I have never seen a synthetic line recoil like that. Thanks
I didn't want to sound like a jerk but it is such a myth that synthetic line won't recoil, it will if it snaps in the middle. the good thing is if you get hit by the rope it won't do any damage but if you get hit by the hook it's another story
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benm1020

I didn't want to sound like a jerk but it is such a myth that synthetic line won't recoil, it will if it snaps in the middle. the good thing is if you get hit by the rope it won't do any damage but if you get hit by the hook it's another story
I've seen them snap and fall. Never recoil back, I know they can. Just never witnessed it
Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benm1020

I work on ships in the gulf and there are synthetic lines that have been made that when they part they don't recoil, most of then are made o Kevlar. A lot if small towing companies like towboat us and sea tow use these lines. They're supposed to be stringer than regular polyester or polypropylene lines with none of the recoil when parting. I've seen first hand that the Kevlar lie didnt recoil while tryin to pull a yacht of of some coral in Florida. It snapped and dropped in the water.

Quick Reply: Synthetic or Wire cable