Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tilt degree angle

Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilt degree angle

Hi everyone! I would like to know if there is any documented information about the maximum degree angles both vertical and horizontal for the JK. With this I mean the safe point where a JK can be tilted to either left or right side without falling and the same from the front when going up a steep hill. Just in case here is my JK info, 33s on the wheels, 2.5" lift.

If you have any idea or if you know that it is documented somewhere please let me know. I have been thinking about getting one of those things where you can see if the vehicle is way too much tilted and there is a chance of roll over.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The maximum angles depend on many factors, so they'll be different for every JK and every situation. Your best bet is to go with what your body tells you (a.k.a. the "pucker" factor).

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...eep-clinometer
Old 01-15-2012, 08:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Yup. Too many variables, even on the same Jeep from one trip to another.
There is no certain safe angle to approach, thinking it won't roll prior to it.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 AM
jdk
JK Freak

As stated in previous post, every situation is different, and Jeeps are different as well. I have a clinometer in my Jeep that goes past red bottoms out, and the Jeep is still has 2 plus wheels on the ground. It's in the Jeep as a WOW factor. I tell newbies to watch and if it ever hits red,,,,, hang on with both hands and yell OH SHIT! works evertime. The "pucker factor" will be a better gauge, but the more you drive off road the steeper the angle is before you back off. So if you off road enough you will soon answer your own question
Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
Its a Jeep. The laws of physics can be bent with one.

Then there are times where the laws of physics will own your ass when you think it is not going to.

When your GF opens a door to bail out like mine did yesterdays wheeling trip on a snow covered mountain top, that is when you probably should re-access what you are doing and either try a new line or get off the obstacle before you end up in a bad position with the gf yelling"Ok,now I can read the sticker on the widnsheild!"

Ha ha ha ha!!! GF and wives are all the same!! Mine bails out at the minimum sight of a anything that has rocks, holes or steep hills. Whe like to say that I go 4x4 and she goes 2x4, ha ha!!

I know there are many variables but I just want to know what would that be so that I can have an idea. A member in another forum posted this link which I'm checking out now. You guys might want to check it out too. I would give credit to him but forgot his username on the other forum.

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/cog/
Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

There are some complicated math formulae pertaining to physics that would help you make the determination. You would have to run those calculations every time you went jeeping.
Tire pressure, fuel load, gear weight, body weight, jeep height,elevation of weight concentration, barometric pressure...
imagine a toy sailboat in the bathtub with your rubber duckie. If you put weight on the keel ( the shark fin part under the boat) you can increase your roll angle. If you put weight on the top of the mast (the stick that the sail attaches to) you have to decrease your roll angle. You can move the weight anywhere between those two points and adjust the rollover
Or you could rely on the built in detector hard wired into your ass
Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nwapache
There are some complicated math formulae pertaining to physics that would help you make the determination. You would have to run those calculations every time you went jeeping.
Tire pressure, fuel load, gear weight, body weight, jeep height,elevation of weight concentration, barometric pressure...
imagine a toy sailboat in the bathtub with your rubber duckie. If you put weight on the keel ( the shark fin part under the boat) you can increase your roll angle. If you put weight on the top of the mast (the stick that the sail attaches to) you have to decrease your roll angle. You can move the weight anywhere between those two points and adjust the rollover
Or you could rely on the built in detector hard wired into your ass
That's what I call experience...

...been there, done that, felt that! ;-)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

x10 on using the "pucker factor" versus any other electronic gadget. My rule of thumb is this... if your "spidey sense" goes off, don't do it!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti

Hmm, this sounds like a very scientific method that requires too much thought. I prefer the simple method of if my beer is spilling then things are about to get real hairy
Haha, agreed!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of it is how well you know your rig and the ability to read terrain, and that comes with experience. I do not have that kind of experience in my Jeep yet.

But I know after 20 years on 2 wheels, as I racked on miles on various crotch rockets, much of the input on the machines limits were subconscious, or subliminal.

Mainly because of little warning signs, slips, and slides that were not bad enough for a crash, but imprinted in your brain (pucker factor if you will). After a while, you could read the terrain ahead (in this case the road) and what the machine was likely to do without conscious thought.

I would think extreme jeeping would be little different, and no mechanical guage will substitute.

Now, I want some after-market training wheels to test the limits without the repair costs, please.

Quick Reply: Tilt degree angle