Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire chains?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire chains?

I am planning on going on a wheeling trip in Wyoming on Dec. 3 (as some of you know) A friend of mine is comeing along for the ride and he say I need to go and get tire chains. I know they are usefull in the snow but never even though of using them on a wheeling trip. Do I need to go out and buy some for this trip? Do I need them at all for wheeling? Need help on this one. I am still a little new to the wheeling and off roading world but I am just not sure chains on my large tires is the right thing. Please some one pull me out of this lack of knowledge mud hole I have got myself in.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

I will be bringing mine for the trip. I only have them for the front. I got them at NAPA and they are the heavy duty ones. If you get some make sure to get some bungee straps to tighten them with. You may not need them but if you have them you will be better prepared. Let me know of you have any questions.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets
I will be bringing mine for the trip. I only have them for the front. I got them at NAPA and they are the heavy duty ones. If you get some make sure to get some bungee straps to tighten them with. You may not need them but if you have them you will be better prepared. Let me know of you have any questions.
How much were yours and how do you store them when on trips like these?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Slob
How much were yours and how do you store them when on trips like these?
They come in a cloth bag. You can just put them in the back or behind the seat. With as many people as it looks like are going you shouldn't need them. They are nice if you start to slide off a trail and need some traction to get it corrected.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

I can't remember how much they cost. I carry mine in a plastic tool box I got from home depot with my tools and other misc stuff, I put the bungee straps in the bag the chains came in.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've got stock size tires, finding some shouldn't be a problem. If you're running 35's and up....they may be tough to find.

In general, V-bar chains will give you the best performance, but the are also the most expensive and will require the most clearance.

Here's what you want to know about chains:

#1. Practice putting them on your rig in the driveway, with no snow. You'll thank yourself when you need to put them on in deep snow, at night. If you've never put chains on before, find someone to teach you how, or check out youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH3rL6tqUj0&feature=related Please note that the hook orientation of the bungee cords shown in that video is likely to result in some sidewall damage!

#2. Bring a minimum of 4 bungee cords per wheel to keep the chains snug. Rig them criss-cross fashion across the outside of the wheel.

#3. Make sure that you have LOTS of clearance between the chained-up tire and the fenders....and also between the inside sidewall of the tire and your suspension components, brake lines, and ABS sensor lines. If you do not have this clearance, the chains are going to "adjust" your vehicle until you DO have the clearance. You won't like the way that the chains adjust your vehicle. At all.

#4. When you put the chains on, drive for about a half mile, get out, and re-tighten them.

#5. Do not exceed 20 MPH with chains on.

#6. Run with both front windows open a crack so that you can hear what your chains are doing. If you hear more than the standard "slap" from the chains, stop IMMEDIATELY and find out what's going on. If you want to know why it's important to stop immediately, refer back to point #3. Chains can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Chains will let you do some incredible things - especially if you run them on all four corners...but be aware that they will result in additional wear and tear on your vehicle, and that they can be VERY unforgiving if used improperly.

Last edited by w squared; 10-24-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by w squared
If you've got stock size tires, finding some shouldn't be a problem. If you're running 35's and up....they may be tough to find.

In general, V-bar chains will give you the best performance, but the are also the most expensive and will require the most clearance.

Here's what you want to know about chains:

#1. Practice putting them on your rig in the driveway, with no snow. You'll thank yourself when you need to put them on in deep snow, at night. If you've never put chains on before, find someone to teach you how, or check out youtube:

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH3rL6tqUj0&feature=related

Please note that the hook orientation of the bungee cords shown in that video is likely to result in some sidewall damage!

#2. Bring a minimum of 4 bungee cords per wheel to keep the chains snug. Rig them criss-cross fashion across the outside of the wheel.

#3. Make sure that you have LOTS of clearance between the chained-up tire and the fenders....and also between the inside sidewall of the tire and your suspension components, brake lines, and ABS sensor lines. If you do not have this clearance, the chains are going to "adjust" your vehicle until you DO have the clearance. You won't like the way that the chains adjust your vehicle. At all.

#4. When you put the chains on, drive for about a half mile, get out, and re-tighten them.

#5. Do not exceed 20 MPH with chains on.

#6. Run with both front windows open a crack so that you can hear what your chains are doing. If you hear more than the standard "slap" from the chains, stop IMMEDIATELY and find out what's going on. If you want to know why it's important to stop immediately, refer back to point #3. Chains can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Chains will let you do some incredible things - especially if you run them on all four corners...but be aware that they will result in additional wear and tear on your vehicle, and that they can be VERY unforgiving if used improperly.
Yup what he said, good info. Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys I probably wont worry about getting some for this trip (budget problems) but will put them on the list of things I need.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tire Chains

Originally Posted by Slob
Thanks guys I probably wont worry about getting some for this trip (budget problems) but will put them on the list of things I need.
Hi guys, I just bought a set of Cable Chains for my JK which has 35 in KM2's on it. The chains list for 90.00 at AutoZone the part number is 1681. They will fit the 35x12.5x15 size that I have on my Jeep. I am thinking about getting another set for the front. What do you guys or girls Think
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cable chains are better than nothing...but cable chains are to v-bars as street tires are to MT's. Night and day difference when the going gets tough.

Quick Reply: Tire chains?