Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tools?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
A slight variant from a general tools topic, is what to carry with you when wheelin. To start, I don't know of any SAE sizes on the JK. I carry a set of Metric sockets only. ...
Good list. Regarding SAE sizes: I carry them because I never know when I might need to help out someone else.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say I'm on the Craftsman bandwagon here.

I bought a set for around $800 and recently bought a closeout 3 tier tool box (also craftsman for a great price - 7 drawer base on rollers - 3 drawer middle - 3 drawer "portable" upper) There are some tools in there I don't have much use for for personal projects, but as I have other Jeepers that come over for wrenching days with different models, I'm finding everything is being put to use.

I have added some pieces since the kit purchase.

Someone said it earlier, 1/2" drive is invaluable.

A couple other MUSTS.... a good solid breaker bar, PB blaster, Anti-Sieze, and Lock-Tite. and a late but important add is a Torque wrench that you both store properly (take hte load off of it) and maintain well (regular calibrations/lubing).

My trouble now is making a trail- bag'o'tools without packing the entire chest!!

Last edited by Saharicon; 06-06-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Saharicon
and a late but important add is a Torque wrench that you both store properly (take hte load off of it) and maintain well (regular calibrations/lubing).
!
That is great advice as this is easily and often forgotten. However, the Craftsman Microtork wrenches do not require any lubrication as per the instructions and when in storage the wrench has to be set to 25% of capacity. Many will tell you it has to be zeroed out but that is not the case according to Craftsman. If it is put away for, say hours, with load on the wrench it must be zeroed out and left sitting for a few hours.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say I'm on the Craftsman bandwagon here.

I bought a set for around $800 and recently bought a closeout 3 tier tool box (also craftsman for a great price - 7 drawer base on rollers - 3 drawer middle - 3 drawer "portable" upper) There are some tools in there I don't have much use for for personal projects, but as I have other Jeepers that come over for wrenching days with different models, I'm finding everything is being put to use.

I have added some pieces since the kit purchase.

Someone said it earlier, 1/2" drive is invaluable.

A couple other MUSTS.... a good solid breaker bar, PB blaster, Anti-Sieze, and Lock-Tite. and a late but important add is a Torque wrench that you both store properly (take hte load off of it) and maintain well (regular calibrations/lubing).

My trouble now is making a trail- bag'o'tools without packing the entire chest!!
X2 except I do have a few Snap Ons and Husky's floating about. I'm up to 2 bags now as I can't figure out what to leave behind.

BTW the tool I use the most on the trail? The BFH.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by seer1
X2 except I do have a few Snap Ons and Husky's floating about. I'm up to 2 bags now as I can't figure out what to leave behind.

BTW the tool I use the most on the trail? The BFH.
Did I fail to mention the value of the BFH???
Old 06-06-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Did I fail to mention the value of the BFH???
Nawww, that's a given.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I got a nice set of Craftsman when I turne 15..I have added to it regularly.
But I picked up a nice Husky Pro at HD. use it most of the time now, my torx bits are also Husky. It just seems that there are more HD's around than Sears.
The bad thing is that you cannot get the individual black Husky Pro sockets. I have not broke one, but I did have one disappear on me
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Craftsman

My $0.02. I'm a welder and used to work in a truck fab shop. Within my first two months there I probably bought about $2-3K worth of tools. Majority of them Craftsman. Giant toolbox, metric/ imperial ratchets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, impact...) metric/imp wrenches (normal, stubby, ratchet), screwdrivers, hammers, bars, measuring/layout tools, pliers, clamps, punches chisels, and a wack of airtools. Other crap I can't even remember is in that box.

The only thing I regret getting from sears --> airtools. For the price they are (which still isn't bad) you could pay a few dollars more and get a Chicago Pneumatic, or low end Snap on "blue" line. Don't get me wrong, they all worked great, just longevity wise .... . 1/4 impact, 3/8 drill, 1/4 ratchet, 1/2 drill, 3/8 ratchet, etc all stripped out at some point. My 1st 1/2 impact's housing exploded, and the second one internally exploded. Die-grinder shit out. Only original air tools I have from sears that still work are my cutoff wheel... actually that's it, and that's because I've only used it a few times. And the airtools - NOT lifetime warrantied.

I'd put it this way: 2 drops of oil every day + cleaned em nice at end of day = 8 months hard usage lifetime average survivability. If they're occasional use tools, they'd probably last forever, mine were work tools, and work tools they are not!

Every other tool though MASSIVE never had a problem.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Woods
A slight variant from a general tools topic, is what to carry with you when wheelin. To start, I don't know of any SAE sizes on the JK. I carry a set of Metric sockets only. When you buy a smaller socket or wrench set, it most likely will not come with an 18mm socket or wrench. This is a common size on the JK. You'll need to have it. Here's what I have in my JK:
- 1/2" driver breaker bar, with a 6" extension and a 3/4" socket for lug nuts
- 35mm 1/2" drive socket for the axle nuts
- 3/8" ratchet
- 3/8" 6" extension
- 11mm - 19mm sockets (a 10mm socket would be good to have too). I also added a T-50 Torx bit for door removal. I also have a 7mm Alan bit, that I needed once, but don't remember what for.
- Lowes sells a double sided ratcheting wrench set. The brand is gearwrench. Two wrenches covers 9mm, 10mm, 12mm 13mm, 16mm - 19mm wrenches
- 13mm 12 point wrench for break caliper removal.
- 14mm and 15mm wrenches
combination ratcheting screwdriver. I made sure to have a T-40 Torx tip, for hardtop removal.
- I also have a general tool role with the likes of vice grips, channel locks, screw drivers, adjustable wrenches, wire cutters etc.
- 3lb. stubby handle sledge - I've used it several times to seal leaking stock differential covers.

The important JK oddball tools are:
13mm 12 point closed end wrench for break caliper removal
35mm axle nut socket
18mm socket (just because it's often not included with standard socket sets)
7mm Alan wrench (not sure what for)
T-40 torx for hard top removal
T-50 torx for door removal

P.S. I couldn't find the 35mm socket at Sears (I checked 2), HD or Lowes. I found it at Kragan - auto parts store

Nice comprehensive list, Thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

I have a Met-wrench set. It is not the best set of tools around, but they are great for the back of the Jeep. I have used them for some pretty heavy work and have never had an issue. The nice thing is you only need one set for SAE and metric, so it is less to carry on the trail or wherever you may be going.

Quick Reply: Tools?