Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Ultra stiff suspension issue!!!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Rancho 9000. Worked wonders but I have a heavy duty spring so removing the heavy duty shock by going lower helped. I would think the mopar spring isn't as heavy duty (load bearing) and the shock is tuned to it.

AEV and rock krawler have a real nice ride. Would try and find other Jeepers with a different suspensions and go for a ride with them. When you find one you like you found what you need to buy.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the 9000s and definitely recommend them.

I'm running em at 4 in the front 2 in the back. I had the same issues with multiple shock brands pro comp, cheaper rancho, and bilstein, all just too stiff all the time.

When the 9000s are done I'm either buying another set or going coil overs.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
You are never going to compete speed-wise on rough roads against vehicles with independent front suspensions, period. Your Jeep was not made for that. That is the drawback to a rigid front axle.
While I agree with this, handling & speed can still be much improved.
A Metal Cloak suspension gives a meaningful improvement. Good and correctly adjusted coil-overs can be even better.
I had air springs and Fox shocks re-valved for them, on a JKU Sport, which allowed to almost double the sprint speed on trails vs coil springs.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-20-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a RE 2.5" lift kit on mine, it is not as complete as the Mopar lift to be sure. It comes with the Bilstiens and I think it rides pretty great. I'm about to get some bigger tires so I'll find out if it gets better or worse.

To be fair, I have a big heavy bumper out front and the same in the rear, so the extra weight might help with the handling.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize I am reading this thread very late but I have the exact same problem with the 2 in Mopar lift additionally I have the exact same tires as he has. Im wondering if these tires have so little flex they are the problem. I run 15psi off road and I feel like I am in an empty dump truck. Does anyone else have these tires and get a good ride off road?
Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Not sure about your specific tire size, but the Trail Grappler is usually an E rated tire, so y, very stiff sidewall. I had some in 37" flavor and didn't have any issues, but I'm usually down to ~10psi. They soaked up most bumps on rough roads with no issues in my application.

Quick Reply: Ultra stiff suspension issue!!!