Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Used my winch!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love it!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreadHijacker
Are you sure it won't snap back? I wouldn't trust that without seeing it tested several times. Nice job pulling the tree though.
I think pretty much any cable or rope would snap back to some extent, but it's really all about the mass the rope or cable carries with it. The more mass or weight flying through the air at a tremendous speed, the more damage.

BTW to the OP...awesome way to use a winch!

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 08-29-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

The synthetic cable may come back two-three feet whereas a wire cable will come back at the same force it was under.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys. Wish I'd had been running the video on my camera when that tree snapped. I wasn't expecting that at all. Pretty dramatic...

Was going to give it a little more pull, then if that didn't work, move my tree-saver strap down to the far end of the tree, where it had broken off a few feet above the ground. Just try to tug it out of the way.

That tree trunk may well have been fractured a bit there, where it finally broke as the winch was pulling on it.

A winch is a handy thing to have. Had one on my old full-size Chevy Blazer years ago. Only used it a couple of times to recover the Blazer, but used it a lot to move things, including other vehicles.

CW
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hahaha, had the same thing happen, but I was trying to pull myself out of a mess when the tree I tied to was pretty dead lol. Scared the crap out of us when the thing came down.
-lesson learned lol
Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Former Member

Heck yeah! If this thread isn't a great example of how tough an Engo winch is, I don't know what is!

Bookmarking this thread. Thanks for posting!!!

Quick Reply: Used my winch!