Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Warn PowerPlant Owners share your likes and dislikes please. potential buyer here.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn PowerPlant Owners share your likes and dislikes please. potential buyer here.

I have been thinking a lot about winches and it seems to me that the way to go for my jeep is the warn Powerplant,

not sure if the HD model or the HP model is the way to go?

one thing I noticed only from pictures, it that the air line didn't look like it could reach the back tires.

anyway I wonder if people who use a warn power plant could lend their thoughts,
likes, dislikes, pros, cons, all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP --> speed over power (9500 vs. 12500)
HD --> power over speed (12500 vs. 9500)

Unless something has changed they're the same except for the gearing. The single airline will reach the back tires, but it is a stretch. I bought the accessory kit which has an extra line that makes it much easier.

I've had my HP for almost four years. I'd buy another one.

Last edited by tgrt; 06-19-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7
I have been thinking a lot about winches and it seems to me that the way to go for my jeep is the warn Powerplant,

not sure if the HD model or the HP model is the way to go?

one thing I noticed only from pictures, it that the air line didn't look like it could reach the back tires.

anyway I wonder if people who use a warn power plant could lend their thoughts,
likes, dislikes, pros, cons, all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
you can buy an airline....that is no problem..

I have a good friend an jk buddy who has the power plant... i have m8000 and viair on board air...

My winch is plenty strong enough.... and mine will air up much faster...do to having a 2.5 gallon air tank and stronger compressor.... my winch was much cheaper.... but by the time I got the viair...skid plate for tank etc.. it is close to the same as the powerplant.

his want much less time to install.... but having an on/off switch on dash and a pressure gauge too... and a plug in for air near the license plate, getting to cut holes in jeep was fun too!!!!

bottom line.....if you are going to air up a lot .....go with on viair...... but for most.. the powerplant will be fine
Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the HP Powerplant. I also got the Warn add on kit.

One of my best buys! I seem to air up faster than my portable air friends!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I got the HD - because of the gearing it draws less amps when pulling. I also got the extra line to easily reach the rear wheels. Since I air down almost every time I’m on a trial I use it all the time.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gint2
...About what is the air up time per tire for 35's? Going from like 10 psi to like 35psi? Do you have an air tank also?...
It's about 2 minutes per tire for me.

I don't have an extra air tank - just the small one that is built into the unit.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the HD Power Plant and love it. I also have a compact ARB compressor for the air lockers. I would not buy another winch, imo its the best. The compressor will air up 35's from 8 to 30 lbs in about 1.5 mins per tire. You can add a air tank for more capacity if you would like. I took and put a T in the line and have a quick coupler up front to hook into and one in the back to hook into. I am very happy with my set up.

FYI - Watch online, I got my HD Power Plant shipped to my door for 1300.00. Brand New in the box.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

I love my powerplant HP. I am considering the external tank setup as mentioned above. You can not really run air tools off the winch itself. I have tried... With a small external tank you may get a few good shots on an air wrench but thats it. The HP is rated at 12cfm@0psi and 5cfm@90psi even with a small tank it is a slow process to run tools. 5cfm is about the minimum to run any serious air tools. In my experience using a grinder and a pneumatic wrench, it is not possible using just the winch. I bought an external compressor for the garage.

As for airing up tires it is perfect. I have aired up 3-4 vehicles on 32"-37" in about 30 mins. That is working it pretty hard but it will do it.

One more thing to consider when buying a powerplant - They do not fit on all bumpers. This winch is huge! Double check before you get a stubby or in bumper winch set up. It sits a little off center so any bull bar or stinger may interfere with it. Front to rear its no bigger than normal but it is wide. The Smitty Stinger will not work, trust me. I had to return mine.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've also been considering the PP.

Has does it work with an external tank? Doesn't the compressor run when using the winch? Would it cut off once the external tank reached max pressure?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No viair product will outperform a powerplant winch - period!

If you have two viairs connected in series they should be able to keep up, but not air faster than a Powerplant.

I currently own a powerplant on my JKU and an extremeair electric compressor on my TJ.

I also run a small ARB compressor for my ARB's.

I saw someone mention the benefit of a 2.5 gal air tank as well. That tank won't help you air tires after the first one and only if you pre-fill the tank. The time it takes a compressor to fill the tank, it could be filling your tire. If you fill the tank first it would offer a faster fill for that first tire, but that's it.

The Powerplant is a great combo winch and perfect for people who don't need to power ARB's (or have another source to do that). However, they are expensive and heavy so you'd need to be prepared to accomodate both those challenges.

I like mine. I have a bumper that allows the winch to me mounted lower, between the frame rails. This opens up the grill so overheating isn't an issue.

Quick Reply: Warn PowerPlant Owners share your likes and dislikes please. potential buyer here.