Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

What is the best "starter kit" for a new off roader?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalwrangler
I have a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 34' BFG KM2. What is everyone's opinion on what should be next? I'm not climbing any mountains soon just curious. Thanks for all your help in advance!
Recovery gear and safety are important, but if you are asking about a performance mod for your JK I would recommend getting a programmer. It will make your daily driving more comfortable and the crawl tune really improves off road performance. The crawl tune is great because it gives you more control of the gas pedal which allows you to take your time and follow a good line instead of trying to "power" your way over obstacles by increasing speed and sacrificing control of the vehicle.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08JKRHD

Recovery gear and safety are important, but if you are asking about a performance mod for your JK I would recommend getting a programmer. It will make your daily driving more comfortable and the crawl tune really improves off road performance. The crawl tune is great because it gives you more control of the gas pedal which allows you to take your time and follow a good line instead of trying to "power" your way over obstacles by increasing speed and sacrificing control of the vehicle.
Thank you I will for sure look into this!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
JK Newbie

I think the gadgets are important too.
Like a high lift with a wheel lift, a small toolkit, arb recovery straps,
For car or bodymodifications i would start wirth a/t tires, side armor and maybe a ome suspension upgrade.
Thats perfect for the beginning in my opinion
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalwrangler
I have a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 34' BFG KM2. What is everyone's opinion on what should be next? I'm not climbing any mountains soon just curious. Thanks for all your help in advance!
Gas tank, oil pan and t-case skids and then front and rear bumpers and then side protection.

Also - be sure to carry a recovery strap and a d-ring with you whenever you're out playing around.

After protection, I'd get a rear locker/limited slip of some kind.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers

Gas tank, oil pan and t-case skids and then front and rear bumpers and then side protection.

Also - be sure to carry a recovery strap and a d-ring with you whenever you're out playing around.

After protection, I'd get a rear locker/limited slip of some kind.

Have fun and good luck!
Thank you again. I will for sure look into this! I appreciate all the info!

Quick Reply: What is the best "starter kit" for a new off roader?