Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

What do you do when you have no onboard air?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Newtybar
I currently have a small onboard air pump (Viair), however I'm possibly going to sell it to buy something more useful for everyday life (fogs).

How often do those of you who do not have air have issues when this situation arises:

You hit the trail, nearest gas station is 20 miles away (mostly hwy), you only go with 1 or 2 Jeeps and they don't have air either. What then? Drive to the gas station on 14 psi?
I've done it... I just drive REALLY slow

...& I wish I had your onboard air pump

Old 02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an inexpensive tire inflator I've had for three decades now. It won't take the tires to full pressure but it gets them to reasonable driving pressure. Takes quite a while, but it works.

Then again, I rarely air down.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Guys/gals...I do air down lol. The question was, is it feasible to drive to the gas station aired down (especially when the nearest station is far away).

OffTopic has answered my question.

I think I'll keep the compressor.

Actually a powerplant is on the list of things to get.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

I have never NEEDED to use my fog or KC lights,but i have Needed to use my little air compressor.I say keep the air and wait on any lighting you might want.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brigitta
The old fashoined cheap way was to use the "spark plug air compressor". It wasn't the fastest way to air up but it would get you back on the road.

We bought ours years (decades?) ago before the concept of "on board air" became the norm. You can probably still find them for sale or make one yourself.

DIY= 20' of coiled air hose with an inflator tip on one end, and a compression guage fitting on the other. All you do is pull one spark plug, screw in the adaptor end of the hose, start your engine, and VOILA 150-200 PSI for your tires.
Seriously?! That is freakin' cool! I have never heard of such a thing. Any problems from running on only 5 cylinders while you do this? I cant imagine this is good to do on a constant basis... Plus I wonder what it will do to the computer. It would have to throw it into a hissy-fit.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Wow! I didn't think I would see that suggestion here, much less that someone has been doing it for 20 years. Thats awesome. I took an advanced off road skills course offered by Land Rover a few years back and we covered lots of crazy topics on how to repair your rig when in the middle of no where. Airing up with one cylinder was one of the topics. I just thought that was one of those obscure but nice to know even though it would never get used pieces of information, sort of like welding with jumper cables and batteries. All I can say is that it brought a smile to my face to read that.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I figured i would post this again here to see if I could get and answer....

Will I have problems airing down the 37's when they are on the stock rims? I have aired down my 36" Irok on the fj40 to 12 pounds before with no issue but they are running on 15x10 rims .I'm a little concerned about airing down the 12.5 tire on a 7.5 rim......

I do have a new ARB compressor but no tank or anything to get the onboard air set up before Moab. Should I push to get this completed before the trip down? I really dont know if I will have time.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:09 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

I have not had any problems airing down my 37s and they are on the stock rubi rims. I have not gone below 15 psi and usually only go to 18, but that seems to work for me and I have not had any issues.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my first purchases was a Costco compressor:
h$$p://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11196214&search=compressor&Mo= 3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=compressor&Ntt=compressor&No=3& Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
I spent a little more and bought the dual cylinder model. It's faster than any other I've trailed with. I've since put in an ARB locker and high volume compressor and you know? I still carry that Costco with me because it's so fast.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Default ya' gotta air down

Years ago it never occurred to us to air down. Now, I wouldn't go on a trail w/o airing down just from a comfort standpoint let alone the additional traction. I recommend spending the $60-100 to get one of the entry level compressors to get you started-it's all a matter of your budget of course. There's lots of options out there.

Quick Reply: What do you do when you have no onboard air?