Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

When wheeling alone...

Old 11-10-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
X2 on the fire extinguisher!

A year or so ago I was out on my own & slid sideways off the tail into some long, dry grass and wedged the JK up against a tree on an incline. While I was standing there deciding how I was going to do the sideways retrieval with my hand winch (I always carry a chain winch for those times alone exactly like this when a forward pull from the front-mounted power winch can't be used in isolation) I noticed smoke starting to billow out from under the Jeep.

Seems the hot cats had set fire to the dry grass, & if I didn't have a fire extinguisher mounted on the rollbar at the rear for quick access (got the idea from this forum) my rig would have burnt to the ground. Took the whole extinguisher though to put it out (no major damage, just some peeled & blackened underbody paint and melted wiring on an O2 sensor) so I've since fitted a 2nd extinguisher on the other side.
Those little extinguishers are just the bare minimum, mostly if they are just the ABC type. The Halon type are much more efficient in that same size. Unfortunately they are more difficult to find thanks to the tree huggers. But they are much better and worth the price difference.

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 11-11-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: When wheeling alone...