Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

who here has actually used a hi-lift as a winch

Old 11-19-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a hi lift a a winch on several occasions and I found that a synthetic strap is needed, other wise you just have alot of stretch and do not get the full potential of the hi lift, another thing you should have something to tie back the vehicle if you need more than 1 length of the jack or the vehicle may slide right back into its original spot.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used one when my winch failed on a previous vehicle. They work very well, but like people have said, get some snacks and beer, your gonna be there awhile!!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SONIC
i want one but i cant justify lol
im saving for a winch...
and 70 for the hilift + 60 for the winch kit + 100 for the chain + bla bla bla
im halfway to buying a winch already lol
Let me ask you this, If you're stuck and can't pull yourself forward with a winch, or the battery is dead, and there is no chance someone can get to you to yank you backwards, will you remember about the $200 you could have spent for jack and chains that would most likely get the job done?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Seryoga
Let me ask you this, If you're stuck and can't pull yourself forward with a winch, or the battery is dead, and there is no chance someone can get to you to yank you backwards, will you remember about the $200 you could have spent for jack and chains that would most likely get the job done?
Exactly, Hi-lifts don't run out of batteries or get shorts in the wires. Actually, if i had to have one or the other, I would take the hi lift. Of course a winch is a whole lot easier, but there are just times that it won't work for the situation.

( I have used one to pull out a ford 1 ton crew cab backwards. It sucked, but it worked. Now he has a 12k winch that paid for itself the first time he got stuck and winched out in 3 minutes instead of four hours, but that hi lift is still in the back.)
Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

I ordered my jack together with a winch. Cause you know, better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to my budget - I carry a come-along as well as some of the other psts here. It is a bit slower than those that I watched using a winch but it works!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tbfreebird
Due to my budget - I carry a come-along as well as some of the other psts here. It is a bit slower than those that I watched using a winch but it works!
Come-along is actually pretty good. Some people underestimate it, but its worth having it in your off-road gear.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Seryoga
Come-along is actually pretty good. Some people underestimate it, but its worth having it in your off-road gear.
Used a hi lift a couple of times, alot of work and scary. Bought a winch, so nice! And a come along as a back up.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

a hi lift jack should be in every off-roaders budget... Improvise on accessories
go to companies with cranes and see if they have slightly damaged lift slings, they are good for 25,000lbs and get deemed out of service for just minor damage. I went and they unload a shit load on me.
I went and bought a shackel that fit in the top hole on the hi lift bar and then hook another to the lift part add muscle, stamina beer, and friends willing to laugh at you(and be roped into taking turns) and you will be home before dark
Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I used mine twice in one year. One to keep a jeep from going side ways as we was pulled by a winch, the other was to pull my jeep out of a mud pit.

Quick Reply: who here has actually used a hi-lift as a winch