Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Why senthetic rope?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
On the other hand they know what they are doing.
I have never seen senthetic rope snap during normal wheeling. All the breaks were at 4x4 comps with very experienced drivers and navis.

From my last example they used the correct protection sleeves in two spots but the winch point was very high up and navi had to climb down to guid the 4x4 and couldn't see that rope was rubbing in a new third spot from the 4x4s movements.

Last edited by Sim79; 03-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by JKjunkie2009
Why senthetic over the cable? what are your gaining or lossing? just curious
Safety, Strength, & Ease of Handling

You gain ease of handling, weight lost, and safer than steel cable when it snaps(no winch damper needed). Not to mention that you can actually repair the broken rope by splicing them back together. And synthetic rope have higher tolerance against weathering such as salt water, moist & etc. And won't pinch the line vs steel cable.

Originally Posted by Sim79
I have never seen senthetic rope snap during normal wheeling. All the breaks were at 4x4 comps with very experienced drivers and navis.

From my last example they used the correct protection sleeves in two spots but the winch point was very high up and navi had to climb down to guid the 4x4 and couldn't see that rope was rubbing in a new third spot from the 4x4s movements.

All the videos I have seen when the rope snapped were due to improper use, as in rubbing against something. In other hand, due to many of them are used while racing against time in competitions which they would rather take a chance vs taking up more time to make the corrections.

But personally, I have not yet seeing one snapped during regular non competition use.

Last edited by MBATF; 03-04-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sim79
I don't thinks its safer because it snaps/breaks to easily. I have seen well over 10 senthetic ropes snap and never seen 1 steel rope snap. The worst senthetic snap I have seen almost killed the driver because when it snapped the 4x4 was is bad spot it was over 6 meters up a very steep rock hill climb. As the rope snapped the front of the 4x4 launched back wards and caused the 4x4 to land flat on its roof directly onto a huge boulder. Luckily this 4x4 had a comp spec roll cage fitted, it saved the drivers life. The rope snapped because it was rubbing on sharp rock, with steel rope this isn't problem.
I was speaking of normal use and correct use the syntetic line does not store as much energy and if used correctly should be safer.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Regarding the weight saving: Not only is the line itself lighter than steel cable, but the switch to a Hawse fairlead saves quite a bit of weight, too. I guesstimate that I saved 30 pounds or so on my front bumper.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 AM
JK Junkie

I run synthetic. Over the winter here though it froze solid to my drum. So I threw my steel back on for my winter wheeling. Not to bad to change the rope and fairleads back and forth.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think one of the most durable solutions is to use a steel line with one of these:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_403.htm

This takes out much of the force in the event of a cable breakage. Since it's steel winch line, you won't have abrasion issues over the rocks, no need to worry if it freezes when it's wet, no need to worry about UV rays from the sun.

On top of that, steel winch line breakage is rare.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

the only real pro's i see for synthetic line is your friend wont die if it breaks

the major cons i see... EXPENSIVE and one snag on a branch or rough surface could compromise the line... if you have certain recovery gear (winch roller, snatch block) that you have used with standard cable, throw it away and buy new gear designed for synthetic line
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With synthetic do you need to spool it in under load like steel cable to keep it from getting bound up sop you can still freespool out?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Littlejon
With synthetic do you need to spool it in under load like steel cable to keep it from getting bound up sop you can still freespool out?
nope... no binding, kinking, or otherwise... i guess thats a pretty big plus as well!

but i will stick with my steel line... besides whats the fun in a line breaking and just falling to the ground... high tension steel breaking with enough force to cut through a 1 foot pine like a hot knife through butter is much more entertaining.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07JKX
nope... no binding, kinking, or otherwise... i guess thats a pretty big plus as well!

but i will stick with my steel line... besides whats the fun in a line breaking and just falling to the ground... high tension steel breaking with enough force to cut through a 1 foot pine like a hot knife through butter is much more entertaining.
You apparently dont watch Mythbusters. Long story short: cable breaking under severe force isnt enough to cut a full pig in half. But I bet it would hurt like hell.

Quick Reply: Why senthetic rope?