Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch Line.. Wire or rope

Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Line.. Wire or rope

I want to get a winch for my JK but I dont know if i should get a wire line or rope??????????? I've heard lots of stories of the wire snapping and hitting people and damaging the jeep.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

It's true if the cable breaks it may snap back and hurt someone or the jeep because it stores the energy in the cable. To mitigate this people use heavy coats or winch cable blankets to absorb the energy if it breaks. Syn rope is nice since it does not store the energy and will not snap back if broken and it saves quite a bit of weight verses the steel cable. I run steel and will be switching to a synthetic rope shortly. Just make sure to protect the synthetic from the elements. Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Somebody needs to PM an admin and get that stupid search button fixed.... I can't believe how often it breaks
Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nwapache
Somebody needs to PM an admin and get that stupid search button fixed.... I can't believe how often it breaks
Right they also need to fix the asshole filter. So crap like this would stop getting through.

Op great question. I'm looking into getting a winch and was wondering the samething.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DownhomeMoto
Right they also need to fix the asshole filter. So crap like this would stop getting through.

Op great question. I'm looking into getting a winch and was wondering the samething.

Great comment..

A) the search sucks.. I often try searching simple terms and end up with the first page of search results that have nothing to do with what I am looking for.. so I go to google and search there and end up on the site anyways
B) If people wanna rag on every guy that starts a thread that may or may not have already been discussed, then wonder why people dont post anymore, or leave the site, maybe thats an answer

OP - Synthetic is the way to go for sure... a cable will get you out of a bind.. but the damage they COULD cause are well over the price difference to go with a good line in the first place.. plus better for the trees too ( should you ever need one)

Last edited by drpdndshvd; 01-20-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search feature on a mobile device ie. my iphone or ipad are useless. Like the previous poster stated it comes up with a list of completely irrelevant info...

That said I run synthetic. Add not needing gloves to handle it. If it does break you can splice in another eye or loop quickly... You dont need to carry a blanket etc to throw on top of the line...
Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each one has pros and cons. Syn line is much lighter, easier to use again if breakage occurs and less damage if snapped. It will also have a shorter life span if exposed to elements and not covered/treated. It will also have a Frey issue if constantly being pulled over rocks.

As for winch cable, it bird nests easy and binds if not re-rolled properly, wire splinters, and may cause considerable damage if snapped. You can expose it to the elements and run it over rocks. I have not run syn rope, but might in the future. I have yet to run with anyone who does use it as well.

Each has pros and cons, but I really think it comes down to a personal pref.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Each has pros and cons, but I really think it comes down to a personal pref.
X2. I currently have cable but would like to trade it out for synthetic for weight purposes.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

with the synthetic you can actually throw the line so that if someone is stuck in deep mud or water you dont have to get all wet. In my mind thats its biggest advantage. You cant really throw a steel line
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you start of with a steel cable winch can you change the cale out for a rope line later on with out any problems other than changing the fair-lead?

Quick Reply: Winch Line.. Wire or rope