Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

To winch or not to winch

Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To winch or not to winch

I'm deciding if I need to even worry with buying a winch and dealing with the power upgrades and possible leveling.
I don't plan to do any rock climbing. I will at most do an off road trail through some mud. Will 4 wheel drive be good enough with some mud tires?
I am getting the mopar off road bumper and am on the fence to get with or without the winch mount. Even if I get the winch mount it'll be a couple years till I have the cash to get the winch, alternator, and other things.
Thoughts? All though I know most of you rascals will say get the winch. But money is an issue :(
Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also have been thinking about getting a winch, but I've also been wheeling now for many years with jeeps. And in that time, I can honestly say a winch wouldve been handy possibly 5 times. Other than that, a comealong and some chains can usually get you out of any place you can get into. That's also a young man's game too. Hence why I'm thinking about getting a winch.. laziness!!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too many nice bumpers without a winch slot. So get a winch.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its better to have a winch for maybe $700-$800 (Including bumper and power upgrades), Than it would be to get stuck somewhere and have to pay a big tow truck/wrecker $300-$400 to come rescue you once and then decide that you should get a winch, do it, you'll be happy with it
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

for me its not worth it because i off road like once a month if that maybe once every two months. i'd say money could be better spent elsewhere depending on your off road usage.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Yeah I mean this will be my first jeep and it's 2 weeks in to the dealer build.
I will mostly off road in fields too I think where there isn't anything to winch onto except a passing vehicle.
I'm thinking I'm going to go no winch.
After being laid off a couple years back extra funds are a dream need to focus on bills.
Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should get a winch bumper. You don't have to put a winch on it immediately. It will look fine, but if you wheel you prob will get a winch eventually.

If you get a non-winch bumper and then change your mind on a winch and go to sell it, you'll sell it for pennies, whereas a good branded winch bumper will be in demand by other forum members.

Like posted above, I regretted not getting a winch until after got stuck, and sweated for hours and then had to pay for local tow truck - don't wheel alone, yeah, I know that now !!

Look out on the classifieds for a decent winch at a decent price, they do come up for sale, that's how I found mine.

That all said, Id prefer used parts AND a used winch, than new parts and NO winch.

Last edited by westchester; 05-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
You should get a winch bumper. You don't have to put a winch on it immediately. It will look fine, but if you wheel you prob will get a winch eventually.

If you get a non-winch bumper and then change your mind on a winch and go to sell it, you'll sell it for pennies, whereas a good branded winch bumper will be in demand by other forum members.

Like posted above, I regretted not getting a winch until after got stuck, and sweated for hours and then had to pay for local tow truck - don't wheel alone, yeah, I know that now !!

Look out on the classifieds for a decent winch at a decent price, they do come up for sale, that's how I found mine.

That all said, Id prefer used parts AND a used winch, than new parts and NO winch.
I think I wouldn't mind the winch bumper if there is a good winch mount cover, I mean it will probably be 2 or 3 years before I have the extra money to get the winch.
If there was a good plate to put over the opening I wouldn't mind so much.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wgrin
If there was a good plate to put over the opening I wouldn't mind so much.
Very easy and very cheap to cut a rectanglar metal plate, drill four holes, spray it black, and bolt it in place. Aluminum plate from hardware store would be easy to cut and wouldnt rust.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

The best part about a winch is if you get the urge to go wheel some spot you see and you are alone that may be what gets you home. Even in an open field you can make an anchor point. One basic tool that should always be in the Jeep is a shovel. All you have to do is dig a hole and put your spare tire in it and cover it back up. This has been used many times by four wheelers over the years to get themselves out of a fix. If you don't like the idea of burying your spare tire then get one of those folding boat anchors and that will work very well also.

Quick Reply: To winch or not to winch