Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch Rules

Old 07-12-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also recommend just taking it out and messing around with it. Understand how it pulls, unspools, how snatch blocks are setup before you really need it. Much easier to learn under non-critical situations. Have fun!
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by glock-n-roll
Synthetic rope needs to be covered to protect it from UV. Regardless of rope type, when the winching starts have everybody way clear of it in case it breaks. Do not let the rope slide through you gloved hands. Wire rope may have frayed a little and you will hate what that will do to your hands, and synth rope will burn your hands. Keep your fingers way clear of D-rings, hawses and fairleads. Only 1 person should direct the pull, period.
cant believe i forgot the everybody stays the hell out of the way rule! ya, doest matter what you are pulling with/winching with, chains/straps/cables/synth rope, if it breaks, it will hurt/kill you if it hits you, the only places within reach anyone should is inside a vehicle involved in the recovery since they have to be there to control the pulls.

also great common sense on where to not put your hands and fingers! great tips on protecting the synth rope too, also to the fellow that mentioned rewinding it by pulling your jeep up a slight grade to keep tension on it!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

I always winch from inside the cab and lay the hood up on the windshield in case the rope were to break. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't always winch, but when I do I use dos snatch blocks. Stay muddy my friends!

Last edited by CombatDiver; 07-13-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I4WDTA - The International 4-wheel Drive Trainers Association

My advice....
Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Great thread and feedback! Congrats on the winch.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

x2 on the snatch block (I carry 2)
And get a tree saver strap; you don't want to wrap the cable around a tree and hook back onto the cable; you'll kink the cable and you'll damage the tree.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
x2 on the snatch block (I carry 2)
And get a tree saver strap; you don't want to wrap the cable around a tree and hook back onto the cable; you'll kink the cable and you'll damage the tree.
o ya you definitely dont wanna hook the cable to itself, kink city. learned the hard way many times over im sure. same with towing chains, always use straps, when you overload a chain it fails spectacularly, when you break a tow strap not so much.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
winch tips: synthetic rope is much more user friendly then steel cable, if you must use cable, keep it oiled with wd 40 or something a couple times a year if you wanna be able to unspool it when you need it!

covers are for keeping mud off maybe? honestly most winches are made to be out in the elements of every day life, cant hurt to cover it, cover might even look cool, dont rely on cover to keep salt water/rain off it.

follow the instructions for use of winch, weight/run time vs rest time, all of it, do not disobey the instructions! youll probably break the winch if you do, and youll void the warrenty if you break it from not running it as instructed!

a good tip is also to tac weld the nuts on the winch bolts, makes it alot harder to steel your winch unless they go around with a dremel in their pocket for such occasions....
could always use a wheel lock bolt

Quick Reply: Winch Rules