Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch synthetic line likes or dislikes.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wheeling and winching for quite a while and ran rope for 9 years on my tj, without failure. The secret is keeping it covered so it doesn't suffer UV deterioration. After watching a steel line fail during recover and severly damage the jeep it was on, I won't run steel line again. Like everyone says, it's basically personal preference. I am with rope again on my JKU. 5 years of amsteel blue and it still works like the first day I bought it. I keep it covered with a Warn neophrene cover until I need it and it works just fine - plus I know I'm not putting buddies in danger by using it. Remember that clearing out make make for a safer recovery but with steel line d-rings can become projectiles and fly quite far...
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch rope

I am a rigger by trade I have been involved with every aspect of lifting 500 ton+ loads, I like steel on the drum, synthetic for attachment points, steel is more forgiving if it comes in contact with rough objects. That said synthetic is got to be much safer for the average wincher, in my experience when someone is stuck everyone wants to get involved with helping & they might not have the experience to reckognize the dangers,so synthetic could help eleminate one of the hazards. I will run my steel till it becomes non servicable and then I will consider the benifits of changing to synthetic.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I would think this principle applies to any durable goods. Syn line can fray, which weakens it but steel line can rust and fray as well, weakening it as well. I think if you take care of either, you will have plenty of pulls out of both.
x2

A Syn line will live longer if covered when not in use, to prevent prolonged exposure the the suns' UV radiation.

Oops... Now I see that it already been said...

Last edited by GJeep; 02-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yessamskates
I definitely agree with that statement.
But how it was explained to me was the tension put on to the line and released over some pulls( don't have an accurate number to throw in there) would stretch out the line causing it to lose strength. Now whether or not that is true is up to you to determine. Again this isn't from my personal real world experience. Just trying to add some knowledge to be thought about.
Frailing is your sign. When you see it starts to frail, replace it, and not before.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmoldie
Well, finally got a winch for my '13 JK, (10K Engo). To the guys using synthetic line...How happy are you with it? And would you buy again. Do you have total confidence in the syn'. line? Also, where can I get a good price on some syn'. line?
I got my winch with a synthetic line, never used steel before, so I can't comment. I love my synthetic. My friend with an arctic slid into a ditch yesterday on his own property (during the storm, he has a large property and was plowing) and needed to winch himself out. Went to unspool the line, bam, tangled with layers sinking underneath others....so, it was useless. Glad I don't have that problem. The tiny benefits of steel are outweighed (IMHO) by all the benefits of synthetic.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yessamskates
Similar to my previous post, from what I understand a synthetic line has a limited amount of pulls before the line becomes frail. Now I've never run a synthetic line before so this isn't first hand knowledge but has been passed on to me by a few people who wheel hard and wheel often.
Complete BS (not saying you, I mean that train of thought.) Im fully convinced that was put out by steel line/chain manufacturers. Boats have mostly switched to all synthetic lines, and they are constantly being beaten, repaired, salted, sprayed, freeze/unfreeze, etc. They are used hundreds of thousands of times in horrible conditions. Some boats have ropes on them that are 10 years old. If you maintain your rope properly, inspect it regularly, you will have plenty of life out of it.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Another vote for synthetic. Weight is negligible compared to the steel cable and also a lot easier to spool. So, this will go a lot easier on your suspension and gas mileage.

Luckily I never saw any synth break but I read they are a lot safer than steel in case it happens because they do not snap and slice heads off.

Only thing is that you should keep them protected from UV rays but this is easy with a cover, which will also protect your winch.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I would think this principle applies to any durable goods. Syn line can fray, which weakens it but steel line can rust and fray as well, weakening it as well. I think if you take care of either, you will have plenty of pulls out of both.
Not entirerly true, you have to look outside the box. Tug boats for one use synthetic line and in a commercial application they are pretty rough on towing and mooring lins putting a lot more dynamic load on them than we as jeepers ever will. When I waas in the military we swaped all our hoisting/lifting slings and mooring lines out for synthetic for the same reasons as previously mentioned - but yes you have to take care of them.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Synthetic all the way. Strong, light, and safe. Get a winch cover to protect the line from UV rays, and use common sense in protecting it from abrasion.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running synthetic and have no issues or concerns.

Quick Reply: Winch synthetic line likes or dislikes.