Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winching question -- using reverse

Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully that is a lesson that the Dodge driver will learn from. Too bad for the other guy. Trying to be the nice guy is great but if it is at the expense of your own vehicle maybe you should think about it first.

I tried to help out a guy once that was hung up and before I damaged my winch or his vehicle I had to just tell him that I couldn't help him out. I felt bad but he was pretty understanding and luckily he was able to get someone with a heavy duty rig to pull him out.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by tgrt

Scenario:[LIST][*]Ground was at least somewhat wet from the rain[*]There was no place to anchor the winching Jeep to

A Pull-Pal would have been a perfect anchor point to be used in that situations.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
Wraithyjeep nailed it when he said:
neutral 4lo emergency brake on
locked front and rear if you wish.

A couple other thoughts to consider:
Winch with your hood raised (it can save your life and your windshield).
Use a strap if possible. It's faster and when done right (low speed/steady momentum) runs less risk of injury to you and your rig.
Remember, just because a "trick" works, dosen't mean it will always work, or that it's good for the equipment.
Think long and hard about who your pulling. I help just about every person I can, but it sucks to break equipment and be left with the repair bill to replace YOUR broken stuff!
my rule = if the cable breaks or the motor blows and i am helping you undo what you did... you pay for it.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good rule, and I agree with the principal, but I usually feel bad for the guy. Sometimes it feels like charging him is like kicking a guy when he's down. I just chock it up as a bummer and hope that I'll be the guy to get helped in the future!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
That's a good rule, and I agree with the principal, but I usually feel bad for the guy. Sometimes it feels like charging him is like kicking a guy when he's down. I just chock it up as a bummer and hope that I'll be the guy to get helped in the future!
I agree with the principal as well.

and after all isn't the whole point of getting the guy down is to beat the crap out of him?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

lots of good information
Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07JKX
my rule = if the cable breaks or the motor blows and i am helping you undo what you did... you pay for it.
I'd like to agree with it on principal, but it's hard to justify. My thought is that it's your equipment and you take the risk by using it. The exception to the rule is that if something is required because of the recoverees situation that damages equipment (e.g. no tow points and attaching the strap to a leaf spring causes the strap to get fraid or damaged).

I feel it's your equipment and you need to need to know it's limits. You can stop the winching at any point if things are going long. Additionally, if your line isn't properly cared for (especially important with synthetic) then it could break and the recoveree shouldn't be responsible.

At the end of the day you really need to think twice before recovering someone's vehicle. Think about the situation and what consequences can occur. Make sure there's a verbal agreement with at least one witness, and make sure the recoveree hooks his own vehicle up.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

to add to the last comment about letting the stuck person hook up their vechicle yes but remember that you are recovering them so you have alright to recommend something else if you feel its not safe if they dont agree with you disconnect and leave
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
...you are recovering them so you have alright to recommend something else if you feel its not safe if they dont agree with you disconnect and leave
Definitely.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tgrt
I'd like to agree with it on principal, but it's hard to justify. My thought is that it's your equipment and you take the risk by using it. The exception to the rule is that if something is required because of the recoverees situation that damages equipment (e.g. no tow points and attaching the strap to a leaf spring causes the strap to get fraid or damaged).

I feel it's your equipment and you need to need to know it's limits. You can stop the winching at any point if things are going long. Additionally, if your line isn't properly cared for (especially important with synthetic) then it could break and the recoveree shouldn't be responsible.

At the end of the day you really need to think twice before recovering someone's vehicle. Think about the situation and what consequences can occur. Make sure there's a verbal agreement with at least one witness, and make sure the recoveree hooks his own vehicle up.
fair enough... remind me not to pull you out of anything.

Quick Reply: Winching question -- using reverse