Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2 inch receiver extension with hinge for your rear Winch.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2 inch receiver extension with hinge for your rear Winch.

2 inch receiver extension with hinge for your rear Winch.

This is do-it-yourself so your dominations may very and as I have no way to test this for load capacity I make no guaranties that it will work for you. I got this rear mounted 8000lbs winch at Harbor Freight for $299.00 plus the receiver plate for $39.99 plus extra parts. I quickly realized that I needed an extension to clear the tailgate plus it would be a pain to have to remove and unplug the winch to open it. My local trailer supply store had a receiver extension for just over $100.00. That was just too much and it did not solve the problem of opening the tailgate. So I look around found no hinges on the internet or stores. I then got creative and came up with this idea for making a hinge that would serve my needs.

Hinge 1 Blue print for my 2 inch extension hinge. Your dominations may very and as I have no way to test this for load capacity I make no guaranties that it will work for you.

Hinge 2 Original parts I got at Harbor Freight Tools for a total of $21.00.

Hinge 3 Parts as I got them back from a local machine shop he charged me 1 hr labor $60.00.

Hinge 4 Close up top.

Hinge 5 Close up of bottom.

Hinge 6 On Jeep notice that one can not open the tailgate.

Hinge 7 Passenger view.

Hinge 8 With quick pin removed.

Hinge 9 Now it is easy to open the tailgate.

See my website at http://www.choclines.net/jeep.htm

Last edited by realjeep; 01-27-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you did a great job, looks good......... however I don't think that winch would last long when wheeling, sticks out way too much IMO.

Quick Reply: 2 inch receiver extension with hinge for your rear Winch.