JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   2wd to 4wd conversion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/2wd-4wd-conversion-171493/)

osubauer 04-01-2011 12:35 PM

2wd to 4wd conversion

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,
My wife currently drives a 2007 Sahara 2wd 4 door. I am wondering how difficult (and expensive) it would be to convert it to a 4wd. I found a webpage that explains how to do it (http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te...ion/index.html) but I am wondering if it is worth doing. My thoughts are I can build my 4wd with any components I choose instead of settling for the stock ones if I was to trade it in for a new one.

What do you think?

Shameless_Girl 04-01-2011 12:45 PM

I am curious to hear everyones input on this... before I traded my 07 JKU Sahara in.. me and my buddy at the dealership were tossing around ideas for me to still have fun with their jeep crew.. my 07 was a 2wd and he asked all the mechanics in the service dept how much it would be to turn my jeep into a 4x4 and they all said it is illegal to take a 2wd vehicle and turn it in to 4wd :dontknow2:

Four Low 04-01-2011 12:51 PM

Ministry of Truth

Originally Posted by Shameless_Girl (Post 2202860)
I am curious to hear everyones input on this... before I traded my 07 JKU Sahara in.. me and my buddy at the dealership were tossing around ideas for me to still have fun with their jeep crew.. my 07 was a 2wd and he asked all the mechanics in the service dept how much it would be to turn my jeep into a 4x4 and they all said it is illegal to take a 2wd vehicle and turn it in to 4wd :dontknow2:

And what cave are they living in? Where are they getting their info from? :eek2:

osubauer 04-01-2011 01:06 PM

That's like saying it's illegal to do an engine swap! I realize the VIN code would no longer match up but who cares. Anyway, I know it would be fairly expensive but not near as much as buying a new Jeep and modding it. I mean, you've already got 8/10ths of the thing paid for.

Orangeav 04-01-2011 01:14 PM

I was always told if you have to ask how much it is, it's probably too much...LOL!

I would think you would be better off trading and getting a 4WD. If you want to upgrade from there that's another story. I've looked at axles a few times and just the cost of an axle alone is more than double the KBB difference between 2wd and 4wd. Then you need to add transfer case and a what not...might be a fun project, but I don't think I'd do it to my or my wifes DD. Just my $.02, but I am interested to hear if anyone has some numbers.

osubauer 04-01-2011 01:24 PM

I just sent an e-mail to Off Road Evolution. They are the ones who did the conversion in the article. It looks like they went top of the line with all the components. I don't think I would need an Atlas 4spd but who knows. I'll let you know if they respond with some figures. In the meantime, anyone else with opinions on the matter...Fire away!

nthinuf 04-01-2011 01:39 PM

This was posted a while back. The thread is no longer available, but it may help. And there have been many other threads asking the same thing, so a quick search may help things along.

Let me jump in and say I just did a conversion this weekend. With all the troubles Chrysler was having and the economy I was able to a steal of a deal on 4x2 09 Unlimited X so I went for it knowing I would do the conversion. In all honesty it was a very easy thing to do. I have a close friend who works in the parts department at the Jeep dealership so I was able to get all my parts at cost. I went ahead and swapped in the Rubicon rear axle assembly as well.

Here is what I did and what you will need:

I got the front rubicon axle assembly (D44) without axle shafts, steering knuckle, or anything. Basically, it was the differential and empty axles tubes only.

I got the rear rubicon axle assembly (D44) the same way, just the diff and axle tubes.

I ordered chromoly axle shafts for the front and rear from Northridge.

Everything from the front and rear axles on the 2wd transferred right over. The brakes, hubs, steering knuckle, etc.

You will need to wire your elockers on your own and I just bought some of the nice looking ARB style switches and wired them up inside.

You will need a couple axle nuts for the front axle shafts since your 2wd didnt have any.

You'll also need the 4wd tailhousing or adapter as Jeep calls it. It replaces the 2wd housing.

You'll also need the 4wd tailshaft (actually its a spud shaft) and it just slides right on the output shaft of the transmission.

You'll need new front and rear driveshafts. I got the coast driveline shafts from Northridge.

You'l obviously need a transfer case. I chose to go with the Rocktrac and I intend to add the Rubicrawler soon.

You'll need the transfer case shift cable and shifter for inside the cab. You'll also need the 4wd bezel for your center console so the shifter will fit through and everything will look stock.

You'll need transmission fluid because you'll lose a lot when you pull the 2wd housing and of course you'll need gear oil for the new differential.

I also installed the teraflex frame brace and draglink flip kit, JKS quick disconnects, JKS rear endlinks, JKS ACOS, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, JKS rear trackbar bracket, and EVO KING shocks.

It took me three full days to do the conversion and install all the other goodies. The total cost of JUST the parts from MOPAR (axle assemblies, 4wd adapter, t-case, spud shaft, tcase shifter and cable, console bezel, and axle nuts was 5K. I bought the Jeep new for 17K and by the time I'm all done I will have about 9K into it total so I have a 26K Jeep thats way beefier than a Rubicon that would have cost me about the same.

Yes it was a lot of work but I had fun with it I can help with part numbers and installation if you need any. Feel free to ask questions.

osubauer 04-01-2011 01:59 PM

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for. 5 to 7 grand is not bad when you consider the difference is about 10 grand from the factory. And you get to do the job yourself with better components. :thumbsup:

Goeagles88 04-01-2011 02:10 PM

It sounds like a lot of work, but it would be fun if you have the right tools and a well equipped garage. I would wonder what resale value would be on it. I plan on keeping my Jeep much longer than I normally keep a car, but I'd hate to invest all that money if you won't get it back when you sell it. Just a thought...

crazyhorse02 04-01-2011 04:26 PM

i did it. Its not that bad on cost if you can do all the labor yourself. If you just simply want to convert it with stock parts, not that difficult to find axles, t-cases on this forum(it where I got mine). You will have to buy some misc parts from mopar. The tailshaft on the tranny's are different so they have to be swapped, also the shifter linkage etc. Everything bolts right up though once you get all the pieces. I did the whole process over a month but only about 15-20 hrs of labor( I had access to an fully stocked garage with a lift which made it much nicer). Good Luck

sa29560 04-01-2011 05:02 PM

At manufacturer cost for factory parts 5-7k is pretty reasonable. But if the connection is not there, that could multiply quickly. All I can say is, if it goes down I for one would love to see all the before and after pics. Very interesting concert

adamk73 04-01-2011 05:45 PM

The legality of it concerns emissions. Same thing with engine swaps. If you change anything that effects emissions negatively, it's illegal. At least here in Illinois it is.
This subject is open to interpretation, but the techs and dealership probably don't want to take the risk. It's not much of a risk, but there is a risk.
If someone were to come into the shop I work at with a JK and ask to put a Hemi in, I would definitely call the EPA to make sure I wasn't violating any laws. Just a liability issue. Same thing with taking a 2wd to a 4wd, I would ask the state for clarification. Fines are hefty for shops that violate the EPA laws. Every situation is different.

Thantos 04-01-2011 09:34 PM

Read this thread. Includes parts list for things you need from the dealer.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...2wd+conversion

also see this thread for how easy the axle swap is:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post2203298

Quite a few people have done the 2wd to 4wd conversion, I myself am planning on it (the economy has just delayed the plans).

jaker t5 04-01-2011 10:17 PM

The question I would ask you is , what are your plans , if you are going to rock crawl then 4wd , if you doing fire trails mountain roads then a E locker and a winch will do you fine

blockrockin 04-02-2011 04:55 AM

i got a great deal on a 2wd 2010 .. i have all the parts to do the swap.. in the end i will save alote of money. dosent seem very hard to do.. with the right tools and parts :thumbsup:

jcoolahan 04-02-2011 06:34 PM

I think it's awesome that some of you have or will be converting the jeep into it's correct form!! Never understood the 2wd "wranglers," not that people buy them but that Jeep made them in the first place.

crazyhorse02 04-02-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by jcoolahan (Post 2205447)
I think it's awesome that some of you have or will be converting the jeep into it's correct form!! Never understood the 2wd "wranglers," not that people buy them but that Jeep made them in the first place.

I agree but back in 07 when the 4door dropped I couldn't afford a 4x4 sahara with my navy paycheck due to the jku being new and in very high demand. The dealer had a 4x2 on the lot they couldn't move(bc it was 2wd). I walked out the door with it for 20,500. Steal of the century. Bought the major parts slightly used or take offs online and I was a 4x4 sahara for about 23.500. Can't beat it plus you really do learn a lot about the vehicle itself.

osubauer 04-03-2011 07:42 AM

I definately don't plan to do any extreme rock crawling but enjoy trails and moderate rocks. I also want the 4X4 for winter conditions. The reasoning for the 2wd purchase was that my current truck is 4X4 and my wife would be the primary driver of the Jeep. She does not do any offroading and does not like to drive in winter weather. So basically, she wanted the Wrangler "look" and the open air adaptability for her "mall crawler". I bought the Jeep used and got a good deal because it was 2wd. I also didn't see the point in the extra maintenance when the 4X4 wouldn't be used. We are now thinking of getting her something different and me taking over the Jeep. This would leave us without a 4wd. I looked at this as an opportunity to get to know my Jeep better and use better than stock parts. I have a buddy that owns a kwick lube shop and am trying to gain the use of a bay for a couple of days. I'll definately do a full photo log of the project when it gets started.

Four Low 04-05-2011 03:30 PM

Gore-ism

Originally Posted by adamk73 (Post 2203526)
The legality of it concerns emissions. Same thing with engine swaps. If you change anything that effects emissions negatively, it's illegal. At least here in Illinois it is.
This subject is open to interpretation, but the techs and dealership probably don't want to take the risk. It's not much of a risk, but there is a risk.
If someone were to come into the shop I work at with a JK and ask to put a Hemi in, I would definitely call the EPA to make sure I wasn't violating any laws. Just a liability issue. Same thing with taking a 2wd to a 4wd, I would ask the state for clarification. Fines are hefty for shops that violate the EPA laws. Every situation is different.

How does the drive train change effect emissions? Engine swaps, yes-different parameters ; 4x2 to 4x4, I don't see an emissions problem- Clarify please?

adamk73 04-06-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Four Low (Post 2211529)
How does the drive train change effect emissions? Engine swaps, yes-different parameters ; 4x2 to 4x4, I don't see an emissions problem- Clarify please?

Perhaps I should have explained a little further on this. A 2wd is rated at 16 city and 21 hwy MPG's, whereas a 4wd is rated at 15 and 19. If you look under your hood, you have a Vehicle Emission Control Information Label that says something to the effect of, this vehicle has been certified to conform with the laws of whatever year, and so on. Since the vehicle was certified as a 2wd, changing it to a 4wd, that certification would no longer be valid. There has got to be a difference in the ECM programming to accommodate for the 4wd. I don't know that for a fact, but after being in this industry for the 15 years I have been, I can tell you that I have not seen an ECM that is the same for all variations of the same model. Autos a different than manuals, and 4wd's are different than 2wd's, as far as ECM programming is concerned. That affects it's emissions. That's not to say that it would fail an emissions test, just that it changes it's certification negatively.
As I'm sure you're well aware, there really is no enforcement of these laws, no one will come to your house knocking on your door to check the configuration of your vehicles. I have plenty of friends that modify their vehicles illegally and nothing happens. They even pass emissions tests because the oxygen sensors have been tuned out. However that doesn't make it legal. How many speed shops are out there that do custom tunes every day?
For me, if a customer wanted this done on their jeep, I wouldn't want to risk the potential liability and would call the state EPA and ask for clarification on how to do this legally. Just to venture a guess, I would think that you would need to get the ECM flashed with the 4wd programming and maybe put a new VECI label on it along with whatever else they say to change.
Like I said, these laws are really open to interpretation, and there's really no enforcement of them anyway. There's not much of a risk for someone to do this. I was just trying to explain why the dealer techs said it was illegal.
If it was my own vehicle I was doing this on, I would have no second thoughts on doing it. No one is checking up on you.

I don't know how this would affect someone that lives in a state that has state safety inspections, we only have emissions tests in Illinois. Maybe the safety inspectors are more thorough, but I doubt it.

blockrockin 04-06-2011 09:07 AM

no ECM flash needed... unless maybe you need the 4wd light to come on.. i know someone that did the conversion .. no issues.. no problems with emission etc... but i understand what you are saying

adamk73 04-06-2011 09:14 AM

I was just thinking of how someone would know if it's illegal or not, and I thought the dealers when you trade it in would know. They would check the VIN and see it was supposed to be a 2wd. But then I remember when I worked for a dealer years ago, that they took cars in on trade that were blatantly modified, and they never fixed them or told the person buying it that it was modified. I'm talking stuff like cutting the cats out and hollowing them out or other obvious emissions changes. I believe that dealers are not supposed to sell a car with the emissions tampered with, but this one still did. We even had a guy that bought an F body and failed the emissions test and we had to fix it after he called the state and complained. I don't know if they did it as a goodwill gesture or if it was to avoid litigation or avoid a problem with the state, but they did it. And I will tell you dealers don't put money into something that they don't have to.

adamk73 04-06-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by blockrockin (Post 2213075)
no ECM flash needed... unless maybe you need the 4wd light to come on.. i know someone that did the conversion .. no issues.. no problems with emission etc... but i understand what you are saying

Just so we're clear, there's a difference between what works and what's legal to the EPA. An ECM flash would probably be needed to keep it legal it the eyes of the law (EPA), but not needed to allow it to function.

And again, I'm not an expert on this, just my opinion based on the state EPA seminars I've attended.

If I was you, I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just do it, and enjoy it.

dac71 04-06-2011 05:15 PM

Hey what u in for? Murder..., you, Converting my 2wd jeep to 4wd. Got ten years...

Originally Posted by Shameless_Girl (Post 2202860)

Hovo 04-08-2011 12:10 AM

I have the Stock Rubicon 09 Axles front and back as well as Drive shafts if your interested. PM me or call (818) 425-4282. (they ahve about 17000 miles on them). I highly dougt it is illegal to convert from 2wd to 4wd. your not tampering with emissions or anything.

BKGM Jeepers 04-09-2011 11:31 PM

The swap is easy. The parts Can be bought off craigs list and installed at home with normal tools.

tjwillmann07 04-10-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dac71
Hey what u in for? Murder..., you, Converting my 2wd jeep to 4wd. Got ten years...

Lol that's funny/\/\/\/\

Timecloud 09-03-2013 07:51 AM

Revitalising an old thread

Was this ever completed. I am in the process now of acquiring the parts needed. I have an 07 JK umlimited RWD, and have purchased the driveshafts and front axle from a 2010 JK Unlimited Sport. I am interested to see what else you needed to complete the conversion. Do I need an NP241 or NV241 Transfer case? I am going for a stock conversion and not interested in high dollar aftermarket parts.