Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

3.6 vs 3.8 FEAD Belt Design, Bravo to Chrysler on removing the Hydrolocking Threat

Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6 vs 3.8 FEAD Belt Design, Bravo to Chrysler on removing the Hydrolocking Threat

(I'm not sure if this is the right section for this so, mods please move if you think it isn't.)

I've long contented that unless you submerge your 3.8 JK hard over the headlights, the weakness and threat for Hydrolocking comes from the FEAD belt (front end accessory drive) design.

I have had the displeasure of almost hydrolocking our 3.8 in not that deep of water and always believed it to be from the way the FEAD belt sprays water directly into the Airbox. If you don't believe me, take a look at the top of your hood after even going through the smallest of puddes, not to mention basic fording of a river or creek.

Initially to combat this, I had fabricated up a "spray shield" that went over the airbox and but a seal between the airbox and hood top. Even though it worked, still I eventually just Snorkeled our 08 to completely eliminate the threat especially for deep water fording.

What is interesting is yesterday we took our 12 wheeling instead of the 08. Checking it over this morning, I was shocked in the lack of water traces into the airbox.

Chrysler "reversed" the FEAD on the 3.6 running inboard to the motor and added multiple NVH (noise-vibration-harshness) covers onto the powertrain. What they also did was completely eliminate the "spray" threat to the airbox! There is almost zero traces on the hood top and absolutely zero water trace on or near the airbox intake.

This is the underside of our 3.8 powered JK (note the clean area is where my shield deflects the sprayed water)

This is the underside of our 3.6 powered JK after a day of wheeling with fairly significant water that was crossed

If you note it is clean and that horrid spray patter is no longer present

In actuality the upper NVH cover deflects the water back down and away

The airbox itself is immaculate

Compare against our 3.8 even with the home-brew "shield".

Now that I snorkeled the 3.8 its impervious but, major Bravo to Chrysler with this 3.6 powertrain and eliminating that damn weak spot in the 3.8's design!

I truly believe that unless you are running a snorkel on 3.8, its not a question of if, but when you suck up water in the intake
Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or maybe so much water got in there it washed it all out! j/k
Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after a day of wheelin and 2 days of cleaning I too am glad that I snorkelled. what a mess the 3.8 is after a bit of swampin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Snorkel 018..jpg
Views:	97
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	287602Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Snorkel 017..jpg
Views:	94
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	287603Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Snorkel 023..jpg
Views:	107
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	287604

Quick Reply: 3.6 vs 3.8 FEAD Belt Design, Bravo to Chrysler on removing the Hydrolocking Threat