Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

37's - tranny problems - Any Probs' ? ?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37's - tranny problems - Any Probs' ? ?

Just looking at tire sizes and I am stuck between 35's and 37's; I am going with a tflex 4" (plan to ad a 1" body lift if 37's) and plan to regear based on the tire size. I've read some threads stating that their trannys went to $%@ after they took a road trip on 37's. Is this a reoccuring theme amongst all of you? or are these rare circumstances?

any help is appreciated,

Brian, az
Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Might have better luck posting this one in the modified section
Old 01-04-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

I have 37s and I don't think I've had any tranny issues. I mean, a few girls have complemented my Jeep but I'm pretty sure they were all real females
Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkomlyn
I have 37s and I don't think I've had any tranny issues. I mean, a few girls have complemented my Jeep but I'm pretty sure they were all real females
Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

omg ahahahhaahhaha
Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

I've wondered this myself. The 6 speed manual trans has a 272 ft/lb max torque input... while the JK 6 cyl motor produces 237 ft/lbs torque. Thats a little close for comfort once you begin doing engine mods.

In theory, the 4 speed auto should be stronger as it was developed back when jeep offered up the NV3550 (a 5 speed manual) which tackled 300 ft/lbs (a conservative estimate). But Jeep has NEVER released the max torque specs on their 4 speed auto (42RLE ) in the wranglers... I'd really like to see someone find max torque numbers for the 4 speed if they know of them?

It use to be pretty common place in older YJs and very early TJs that if you altered the jeep beyond 33s, you could reasonably expect the ax-15 or the BA10/5 peugeot tranny to give shortly there after if you rock crawled in any real fashion. I've always wondered if the 6 speed was possibly going to be vulnerable to this in time like the older transmissions use to be. The NV3550 that was in my 2000 TJ sahara was rock solid and it got abused. But now, with the lifetime powertrain warrantee, one has to wonder if any of this matters, if it busts, take it back.

Quick Reply: 37's - tranny problems - Any Probs' ? ?