Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.7 hemi

Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.7 hemi

If I found a 06 commander with a 5.7 hemi/ tranny could i get the AEV kit and bolt it in?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the engine their kit is designed around. I think there might be a few minor mods that you need to do to get it to fit right.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdude3
If I found a 06 commander with a 5.7 hemi/ tranny could i get the AEV kit and bolt it in?
When I did my swap that was the combo I was specifically looking for. It is the best matching donor engine for the AEV swap kit - in that it has the correct A/C pump and alternator.
And it is almost as easy as a bolt in.
You can PM me if you wish for any help I can offer (while its still fresh in my head).
Ed
Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

The only issue I think there would be is that the jk is newer than the engine. May be an issue trying to pass smog. Other than that the AEV kit should work.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RDY4RKS
The only issue I think there would be is that the jk is newer than the engine. May be an issue trying to pass smog. Other than that the AEV kit should work.

why would emmissions be an issue?

Originally Posted by Leonard Massi
Yeah, just bolt it in, it's that easy.............
Don't you love it when people ask for simple advice and/or information and people reply with smart a** comments?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

some state inspections require the engine swap to be of the same make and of same year or newer
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rcdude3
Check out the instructions on AEV's site. The only specialty work required is cutting and wielding the new motor mounts on the frame. Everything is really simple bolt on and plug and play. (pretty ingenius if you ask me) I have a feeling that in a couple of years there will be a over abundance of Hemi's out there for all of us to tinker with
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
some state inspections require the engine swap to be of the same make and of same year or newer
I understand that, but it ultimately comes down to a pass or fail criteria. I've never had the privledge of having a inspector actually match VIN #'s on any vehicle I've smogged. I know that NC (at least in Brunswick County) they pretty much walk out, honk your horn, smogged, and signed you off. Thats one of the things I love about living in AZ, I have 10 years before my JK and I even have to worry about it.

Last edited by Ken Jong Il; 03-13-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il
I understand that, but it ultimately comes down to a pass or fail criteria. I've never had the privledge of having a inspector actually match VIN #'s on any vehicle I've smogged.
In Illinois that's all they do. You could be belching out a ton of heavy metals etc, and as long as the computer says everything is OK you pass. Millions of dollars waisted building all these smog inspection stations. Then they go close more than half of them. Plus the ones still open don't use anything other than an OBDC interface My tax dollars at work!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

I will be doing the Hemi swap eventually and I'm not too concerned with some pipe hitting dumb a** at the inspection center saying, "that Hemi wasn't OE in this JK!"

Just shove the probe in the pipe and do your job homey!!!

Quick Reply: 5.7 hemi