Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Ace rear bumper with factory trailer wiring

Old 11-28-2015, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ace rear bumper with factory trailer wiring

Well, after a year or so of driving around with my factory trailer plug hanging under the rear Ace bumper I finally decided enough was enough. After some pondering I finally determined the best place for it would be mounted directly to the bumper, but inside of it out of the way. The factory wiring was the perfect length to reach the location i chose. Here is what I came up with.

Pretty simple. Drill a 2" hole (assuring it is in the correct location). Insert the female plug-in. Hole punch the 4 screw holes. Remove plug-in. Drill and tap the 4 holes. Re-insert plug-in and bolt in on.

I originally bought the screws with a locknut and I was only going to drill a hole instead of tapping them too. But, during the process I realized the back side of this area can not be reached with the bumper on, so you can not reach to put the nuts on the back side. And you can not install it in the bumper first and then put the bumper on, because you can not reach the back side of it to plug in the wiring connector. That is why I drilled and tapped the holes.

Anyway, I just thought I would share. I am sure I am not the only one with this bumper that is (was!) driving around with the light plug-in dangling around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2492.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	631144  
Old 11-28-2015, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Not to bust your bubble, but I took the cap off, wrapped it around the wiring harness and put the cap back on. So the pigtail is up and out of the way until needed.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is on the way as I type this. Good info to have.

northridge 4x4
Old 11-28-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cedarraider
Mine is on the way as I type this. Good info to have.

northridge 4x4
Love the ACE. I drilled a 3/4 hole for my backup camera just to the left of the "ACE" cutout. I used a home depot Milwaukee hole saw and it went through like butter.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zimm17
Not to bust your bubble, but I took the cap off, wrapped it around the wiring harness and put the cap back on. So the pigtail is up and out of the way until needed.

Oh dont worry you didnt burst my bubble. I was just trying to help people out looking for a more permanent solution.

But thanks for sharing your solution... that is better than letting it dangle there, thats for sure!

Last edited by olyelr; 11-28-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Ace rear bumper with factory trailer wiring