Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Are all mudflaps ugly? Looking for ideas...

Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm convinced there is no such thing as a good looking mudflap
Old 03-02-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Got a 115$ no-flaps ticket a few months back from a grumpy officer, so I got flaps now.

My soultion was 10$ woth of plumbing fixtures from HD (floor flange and threaded pipe and trucker supply gave me a set of old flaps free. Couple screws later I'm legal.

Maybe not quite as slick as TF's but it's only one bolt removal and 10$ isn't bad.

And chicks dig mud flaps!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Teraflex!!

Get the Teraflex set up, they really aren't that bad looking. I run them, however, I don't run them all the time, only when it rains to keep the spray down. But I do keep them in my rig just incase of a stop by the law. It also helps that I have 40" tires which kind of overshadow the mud flaps when they are on. I painted all the aluminum hardware flat black and have them mounted fairly close to the tire so this also helps them disappear as much as possible.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, makes a lot of sense...My chick doesn't dig mud flaps or body damage
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't like mudflaps but I don't like getting wet road slime all over my seat and arms when runnin with no doors in the rain. Don't like slush and snow all over my door handles much either.

I have a roll of rubber ribbed floor matting. have been cutting peices off it as mud flaps for a while now.

I used some cheap plastic mud flaps for a car from Canandian Tire, then use the rubber matting ontop of that with simple sheet metal screws with big washers.

have wheeled in mud and snow hard for along time and never had them rip off. they tear after awhile of use, but I just cut a new piece off and voila all new. cheap and easy.

they sort of have that rally car, land rover flappy look to them and I think they look okay.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmot mb
I don't like mudflaps but I don't like getting wet road slime all over my seat and arms when runnin with no doors in the rain. Don't like slush and snow all over my door handles much either.

I have a roll of rubber ribbed floor matting. have been cutting peices off it as mud flaps for a while now.

I used some cheap plastic mud flaps for a car from Canandian Tire, then use the rubber matting ontop of that with simple sheet metal screws with big washers.

have wheeled in mud and snow hard for along time and never had them rip off. they tear after awhile of use, but I just cut a new piece off and voila all new. cheap and easy.

they sort of have that rally car, land rover flappy look to them and I think they look okay.

Thanks for the pics, something along these lines makes sense for the front, keep mud and crap off, does the law say it is only required for the rear?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure what the law is here, I only did it to keep the slush and rain spray off me with no doors off.

the spray pattern on the side of the jeep is from without the mudflaps on. I put them on just before this pic was taken.

The real spray pattern now is much further back, and my seat upper and my arm doesn't get wet. Plus when muddin it does keep alot of mud out of the cab. Mostly spray etc.. just hits the door latch with the doors off.

Also helps alot on dusty roads and gravel roads, don't get nearly as much dust up in the door opening, and keeps the rocks from hitting me also.

Law probably says I should have rear mud flaps, but I dont' sit back there, and dont' get muddy, wet back there, so I didnt' do flaps in the rear.

I now have 2.5" lift plus a 1" body lift and 35" tires. I now have a much longer rubber matting piece. even with the tire sticking out from the mud flap with the 35's it still makes a huge differance.

Plus if they ever get ripped off off roading (which they never have) I could care less, I have a whole roll waiting at home.

original length

This one sort of shows the new spray pattern, even though it's more mud, but even still, you can see it's moved back where the majority is.
PHOT CREDIT TO JKNIKONBOY

is this one a bad example ?

Last edited by Marmot mb; 03-03-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo and pic add
Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should run them just to keep from throwing rocks up on the windshield of the car behind you. I don't think they're bad actually - I never even notice them.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

I will agree that mudflaps aren't the best looking things but living in utah I don't need a ticket because I don't have them. I have the teraflex ones they were resonable priced and a super easy install. So far I have no complaints and they aren't terrible looking just don't look as good as without.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmot mb
Not sure what the law is here, I only did it to keep the slush and rain spray off me with no doors off.

the spray pattern on the side of the jeep is from without the mudflaps on. I put them on just before this pic was taken.

The real spray pattern now is much further back, and my seat upper and my arm doesn't get wet. Plus when muddin it does keep alot of mud out of the cab. Mostly spray etc.. just hits the door latch with the doors off.

Also helps alot on dusty roads and gravel roads, don't get nearly as much dust up in the door opening, and keeps the rocks from hitting me also.

Law probably says I should have rear mud flaps, but I dont' sit back there, and dont' get muddy, wet back there, so I didnt' do flaps in the rear.

I now have 2.5" lift plus a 1" body lift and 35" tires. I now have a much longer rubber matting piece. even with the tire sticking out from the mud flap with the 35's it still makes a huge differance.

Plus if they ever get ripped off off roading (which they never have) I could care less, I have a whole roll waiting at home.

original length

This one sort of shows the new spray pattern, even though it's more mud, but even still, you can see it's moved back where the majority is.
PHOT CREDIT TO JKNIKONBOY

is this one a bad example ?
Thanks for the feedback and photos, the first one I had to look twice to even notice it, about as unobtrusive as they can be done. Did you make it through that mudhole, you probably still have some of that mud/dirt tagging along, I got into some mud like that and I don't think it ever came out.

Quick Reply: Are all mudflaps ugly? Looking for ideas...