Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Arc welding electrode suggestion

Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly depends on what kind os steel it is( trust me there are differences) anyway 7018 WOULD give you good penetration! Oh and dont forget to ground out as close to your work as you can. You don't want any bearings ect... getting welded also.
example; I was welding on a lawn mower and ruined the engine(welded internal parts) cuz I grounded out at the opposite end of where I was welding.....lesson learned!

Last edited by 2xcapeIN; 04-29-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
MD5
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
Honestly depends on what kind os steel it is( trust me there are differences) anyway 7018 WOULD give you good penetration! Oh and dont forget to ground out as close to your work as you can. You don't want any bearings ect... getting welded also.
example; I was welding on a lawn mower and ruined the engine(welded internal parts) cuz I grounded out at the opposite end of where I was welding.....lesson learned!
I learned to always attach the ground close to the work area but I tough because this can help in optimizing the weld process or avoid damage to electrical car circuit even if the battery is disconnected.
I'm impressed that keeping the ground far from the work area could cause such serious damage!
This is an extremely good thing to know, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

7018......3/32

stronger then a 60 series rod, and a nice small diameter for running off of a small output welder. I've used it alot on handrail.

Or if that's not available try, p5, it's red in color. This is a pretty easy rod to run, if you don't have alot of experience.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a welder that has experience should be able to look at the job and figure out what he is going to need. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Arc welding electrode suggestion