Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

bed lined hinges and the door sills

Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bed lined hinges and the door sills

Why I didn't take a before picture is beyond me but the way that this started was that my 7 year old son completely wore through the paint of the drvs rear door sill this past winter and the rocks have done a pretty good job on the rear hinges as well so it was time that I join the bed liner club.

I used Duplicolor on the hinges and the door striker plates and Herculiner on the sills down under to the pinch seam, yes I removed the rock rails.

Opinions of each product: The Duplicolor seams like paint on roids as far as the application and dry time which makes me wonder about it durability,time will tell.

The Herculiner was easy to put on, I used a 2" brush, but the dry time before the second coat could be applied was abou 4 hours. NOTE: mfrg says that it cures quicker in higher humidty and up here in the mountains we're very dry (25% yesterday) so I shut the garage door and started the garden hose on the floor with a strong fan over it and I got the humidty up to 65%. Once cured it seams to be a much tougher product and should hold up to heavy foot traffic.

I left the doors off over night just to make sure that the Herculiner was fully cured before I shut the doors because if it wasn't it would have glued the doors shut on the rubber gasket seal. Click image for larger version

Name:	bed lined hinges and threshold of Jeep 003.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	174775Click image for larger version

Name:	bed lined hinges and threshold of Jeep 002.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	174774Click image for larger version

Name:	bed lined hinges and threshold of Jeep 001.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	174773Click image for larger version

Name:	bed lined hinges and threshold of Jeep 004.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	174776Click image for larger version

Name:	bed lined hinges and threshold of Jeep 005.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	174777
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 8000ft
Why I didn't take a before picture is beyond me but the way that this started was that my 7 year old son completely wore through the paint of the drvs rear door sill this past winter and the rocks have done a pretty good job on the rear hinges as well so it was time that I join the bed liner club.

I used Duplicolor on the hinges and the door striker plates and Herculiner on the sills down under to the pinch seam, yes I removed the rock rails.

Opinions of each product: The Duplicolor seams like paint on roids as far as the application and dry time which makes me wonder about it durability,time will tell.

The Herculiner was easy to put on, I used a 2" brush, but the dry time before the second coat could be applied was abou 4 hours. NOTE: mfrg says that it cures quicker in higher humidty and up here in the mountains we're very dry (25% yesterday) so I shut the garage door and started the garden hose on the floor with a strong fan over it and I got the humidty up to 65%. Once cured it seams to be a much tougher product and should hold up to heavy foot traffic.

I left the doors off over night just to make sure that the Herculiner was fully cured before I shut the doors because if it wasn't it would have glued the doors shut on the rubber gasket seal. Attachment 174775Attachment 174774Attachment 174773Attachment 174776Attachment 174777

Nice Job. I am going to do this to my Jeep as well. I already hurclined the inside. Great product.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

I've been thinking about doing this too. The paint is flaking off my hinges pretty bad.

Looks great!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah the duplicolor needs at least 3 coats to hold up. I'm doing my tub this weekend so these pics just got me even more pumped! Looks great!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HeyBob
Yeah the duplicolor needs at least 3 coats to hold up. I'm doing my tub this weekend so these pics just got me even more pumped! Looks great!
Are you doing it with the roll on or spray
Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

>8000ft<

I like the way the hindges look I've been really thinking about doing mine as well looks awesome
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Looks great, been thinking about this as well.

Quick Reply: bed lined hinges and the door sills