Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Blitz cans

Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blitz cans

Anyone paint their Blitz cans? I would like to get some but was thinking about painting or bedlining them. Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest the plastic formula spray paints. I've used them on a lot of different plastics and they seem to hold up pretty well. The problem with gas cans is you're always spilling gas on them so the paint is sure to loosen up pretty quick, but hey, it's a gas can. The only real worry is technically a gas can has to be red but I really doubt you'll ever catch any flak for it.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to look into local laws to see if they must be red. Wanted to paint them camo or something cool.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombJep
Have to look into local laws to see if they must be red. Wanted to paint them camo or something cool.
As best I can determine, it's a voluntary standard:

ASTM F852, Standard Specification for Portable Gasoline Containers for Consumer Use:
4 Requirements.

4.1 Color. The container shall be predominately red in color. Pigments, coatings, or other means used to impart color shall not be affected by gasoline.
ASTM F976, Standard Specification for Portable Kerosene and Diesel Containers for Consumer Use:
4 Requirements.

4.2 Color. Kerosene containers shall be predominately medium blue in color. Diesel containers shall be predominantly medium yellow in color. Pigments, coatings, or other means used to impart color shall not be affected by kerosene.

Now, being a voluntary standard does not mean that states and localities haven't passed laws to implement it. But, the American Society for Testing and Materials is an organization that creates and sells (in written form) voluntary standards for industry and governments to implement.

I also agree with the assessment that you're unlikely to be stopped for having an incorrectly colored jerry can. However, you may run into gas stations where they'll stop you from filling a gas can that is anything but red.

Quick Reply: Blitz cans