Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Build-Up Thread: Black Sunshine

Old 07-11-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealing with Expedition One

I've been in talks with Sarah at Expedition One and Ken at Rompalicious (the vendor) about this issue.

Per Sarah at Expedition One:

Originally Posted by Sarah @ E1
We revised our carrier and began shipping out our 2nd. gen carrier in March 09 which allows you to use more add-on features like a hi-lift jack mount, cb antenna mount, and Geri can mounts (our first gen carriers were such that the hi-lift mount and cb mount utilized the same spce so it waseither or). These are all add-on features that we expect to have available for sale for the 2nd ge. carriers in the next few weeks.
I replied to her that the CB mount was not listed as an option but as a standard feature on thier site, regardless of generation of the carrier and that had I known this I would not have purchased thier product. I included a screen shot of the site with text highlighted. She agreed to send me the bracket free of charge.

In regards to the powder coating and damaged shippment issues, I provided her pictures. Here's her response:

Originally Posted by Sarah @ E1
Thanks for the pictures, I will pass these along to the appropriate people for review and will be sure to get back with you asap.
This was as of Friday. As soon as I hear back from them further I'll post what she decides to do about the situation. Given this isn't some $300 Smittybilit bumper but a $1300 bumper I expect some satisfaction for my purchase price. I don't think I'm out of line there, do you?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my bumper didnt cost no $300 and I have a Smitty.....but not trying to go on either side here but hopefully they dont do what I have experienced in the past and say its the shippers fault and then when you confront them (UPS, Freight) or whoever they will say you should of inspected the items before you signed for the package. Good luck, but at least they are sending you a free Cb mount.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Default MPAC Installed!

Got home early tonight for me, grabbed a beer, and finally got my M-PAC rack installed. Still need to line up the bags properlly but so far looks awesome!

You can see my LightForce flag in the background.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool jeep
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

UPDATE:

Expedition One has agreed to send me the CB mount after pointing out the mistake on thier site. They've also provided me with the paint color and make (Rustoleum's Textured Black Spray Paint) and agreed to refund me half the cost of the powder coating ($50).

They've restored my faith in thier company to an extent. I'm still likely going to purchase thier front bumper as my next mod to complete Stage 1 of my build up. I'm looking at other vendors now though like AEV and ARB.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skippman
UPDATE:

Expedition One has agreed to send me the CB mount after pointing out the mistake on thier site. They've also provided me with the paint color and make (Rustoleum's Textured Black Spray Paint) and agreed to refund me half the cost of the powder coating ($50).

They've restored my faith in thier company to an extent. I'm still likely going to purchase thier front bumper as my next mod to complete Stage 1 of my build up. I'm looking at other vendors now though like AEV and ARB.
Hey Skippman,

That is good to hear that they are working with you. After seeing numerous threads on their shipping problems, I sure hope they have a rep. that monitors this forum. I would like their rear bumper but if their shipping containers are that bad, I don't know. That is a lot to spend for a damaged product. I hope they address this soon for others' sakes.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Skippman
Couple tips.

1.) Make sure you put the bearings into the hub of the spindle before you put it on. This saves you having to assemble and disassemble it like I did.

2.) Make sure you use the right bolts on the bar that joins the carrier to the tail gate. I got one in, bolted up and ready to go before I realized the second bolt was actually shorter and I'd used them backwards.

3.) Have a friend. Putting the bumper on there was a bear with my dad helping me. I can't imagine how hard it would be to do it alone.
Thank you for the tips & update!

i'm glad E1 is working with you on the issues... Moreover its a good sign you still want to buy their front bumper.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:11 AM
JK Jedi

Nice JK, will be great one completed!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by m(a)ce
Thank you for the tips & update!

i'm glad E1 is working with you on the issues... Moreover its a good sign you still want to buy their front bumper.
Build QUALITY wise, the bumpers stout. I've no doubt it's going to take a pounding. I haven't found another front bumper that gives the same level of clearance as the Expedition One without being a stubby. The AEV front is very nice but it looks more like it belongs on a Sahara than on a Rubicon with it's mesh grill and rounded lines.

My only complaint about the rear bumper built/funtion wise is there's no HiLift jack points like there is on thier font bumper. If I had to do it over again I'd either get the E1 again or possibly the L.O.D. one.

I'll probably be ordering my front bumper this Friday before I go to the Lift Install Party my local clubs having to help me get on my suspension. I wish I knew whether the front bumper's light mounting brackets would accomidate a set of LightForce Blitz lights.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Design Journal Entry #2

Design Journal Entry #2

Friday was a full day. Spent the morning out Geocaching with my girlfriend and some time at a club members shop getting my lift installed. The lift went on much easier than I expected. Although how much of that was due to the lift and how much was due to the very experienced guys I had helping me on the project I don't know. I'm going to error on the side of the guys who helped me.

I'd left the directions for the lift kit at my home so we had to do the entire install by Wire Dawgs memory. Fortunatly he's got a good one and we only had one minor problem with installing a linkage incorrectly on the back axel. Made a very interesting thunking sound as every rotation of the wheel the wheel weights would contact with a bolt. Took it back into the garage, moved the linkage, problem solved. Even had time to adjust my lights.

Here's a couple pics of it with the lift on that I took over ay my friends condo last night.

I have to give a big thank you to my local club members for helping me out. Thanks go to Wire Dawg, Kooter, and Frosty for being there to help me and putting up with my general newness to suspensions.

I think after I get my ARB Delux Bull Bar, spacers, Superchips ordered I'm going to have to stop spending money on the Jeep for a while, call stage one complete, and just drive it while I let my budget recover.

Stage Two will consist of new tires, a set of Lightforce Blitz lights, Teraflex Rock Rails, and a full set of Treks skid plates.

Quick Reply: Build-Up Thread: Black Sunshine