Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bumper Design and CNC Plasma Cutting

Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper Design and CNC Plasma Cutting

I have a CNC plasma cutter, 3d modelling (computer aided drafting), and welding skills.

The big thing is that the machine can cut with extreme accuracy and speed and quality compared to a human. So im trying to think of neat things like integrated lights, maybe even an integrated hawse fairlead, or flame patterns and symbols, sweet looking d-rings clevises, etc. Stuff that the average human cannot do in such little time. I can even cut square tubing. I was even thinking of cutting the entire bumper on one sheet with stitch slot holes then id bend everything to form the bumper at the stiches and weld it together.

I could easily cut up the LOD bumper and tack weld it together in a day but I admit I couldnt weld it together and paint it nearly as good as LOD does (how the heck do they do it!!!)

I need your inputy and brainstorming!! Ill post pics of the cnc machine and 3d models as I go along!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought you wuld be telling us what your doing?

youve got the tools to do it
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wanna see this, I was thinking of taking on a project like this too. My brother and I can 3d model it, and I can build it, since I have access to plasma cutters and welders.

As far as the finish, its powder coated, wich if you have a big enough oven you can do yourself or send it off to a powder coater, or just paint it, which wouldnt last as long.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to see this as well.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put new electronics in my CNC machine and ran it as a cnc router for a while until it was trouble free. I finally tried hooking up the plasma cutter to it last weekend and fried a transformer. After talking to some people they said that current was probably leaking through it this whole time and it finally puked its guts. So I need some time to ready it.

Here are pics of the first table my buddy and I built www.ubcustom.com/cnc we never finished it (sadly and we were very close) so we had to put it in storage. However things got better when we bought an outdated old old cnc router and refurbished and put all new electronics in it. The old system used DOS! I will take pics of this one this weekend. This is the one I will use to make the bumpers and stuff.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default Still using your CNC machine?

Are you still using your CNC machine? I need some brackets made outta 1/4" steel plate...Im also in Vancouver!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Just go for it, I wouldn't make it out of one piece of material though. I started with the 3d design for my front bumper and changed it drastically based on what I thought would look good as I built it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Assem1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	453375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130410_190857-1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	453376  

Quick Reply: Bumper Design and CNC Plasma Cutting