Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Clay's Slow Build Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you take these measurements, so I could get a better idea how the Evo 2" coils compare to my current lift?

So how do the coils ride? Are they softer or firmer than the coils you took off? What # were the coils you took off? 13's, 14's? What shocks are you running with the Evo coils? Weren't you going to try the Teraflex rear coils? Did you change your mind? I noticed you said you installed some 59's along with spacers. Looks great in the pics.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll take the measurements when I get a chance. Haven't driven it much, so I can't give you a good read on the ride. I expect it may be slightly stiffer with the amount of height I got up front, over the 14's that were up there. The Terafkex coils had a little back order according to the vendor, so I used 1" spacers and replaced the 56 coils with some 59's I had, because the front got so much lift. Shocks are standard black Sport shocks. You have a 2door?
Originally Posted by jckid
Can you take these measurements, so I could get a better idea how the Evo 2" coils compare to my current lift? So how do the coils ride? Are they softer or firmer than the coils you took off? What # were the coils you took off? 13's, 14's? What shocks are you running with the Evo coils? Weren't you going to try the Teraflex rear coils? Did you change your mind? I noticed you said you installed some 59's along with spacers. Looks great in the pics.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by notnalc68
I'll take the measurements when I get a chance. Haven't driven it much, so I can't give you a good read on the ride. I expect it may be slightly stiffer with the amount of height I got up front, over the 14's that were up there. The Terafkex coils had a little back order according to the vendor, so I used 1" spacers and replaced the 56 coils with some 59's I had, because the front got so much lift. Shocks are standard black Sport shocks. You have a 2door?
Yeah, I have a 2dr. That's why I'm interested in your build. Most info I've seen on the 2" Evo coils are on 4dr's. Lift amount and ride is different between the 2dr and 4dr. From reading about results with 4dr's, I was thinking these springs might be too soft for me. But the same springs will provide a firmer ride on a 2dr, so they may be what I'm looking for. I'm currently setup with #17/#16 front and #59 rear with 1.5" Teraflex spacers in front and 1" in the back. Really this setup has worked well for me, so I may just stick with it, but I was thinking if I could get similar results with the Evo coils that I might go that route. I did try RK triple-rate coils, but found them to be stiff and harsh.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll get you some exact measurements, but it looks like 3.5" at the fender. I could probably run a 2" spacer in the rear.

Yeah, I have a 2dr. That's why I'm interested in your build. Most info I've seen on the 2" Evo coils are on 4dr's. Lift amount and ride is different between the 2dr and 4dr. From reading about results with 4dr's, I was thinking these springs might be too soft for me. But the same springs will provide a firmer ride on a 2dr, so they may be what I'm looking for. I'm currently setup with #17/#16 front and #59 rear with 1.5" Teraflex spacers in front and 1" in the back. Really this setup has worked well for me, so I may just stick with it, but I was thinking if I could get similar results with the Evo coils that I might go that route. I did try RK triple-rate coils, but found them to be stiff and harsh.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

21 15/16 & 12 13/16, so that's plus 3 7/16 or 3.44". Pretty tall on a 2 door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-551845588.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	601921

Can you take these measurements, so I could get a better idea how the Evo 2" coils compare to my current lift? So how do the coils ride? Are they softer or firmer than the coils you took off? What # were the coils you took off? 13's, 14's? What shocks are you running with the Evo coils? Weren't you going to try the Teraflex rear coils? Did you change your mind? I noticed you said you installed some 59's along with spacers. Looks great in the pics.

Last edited by notnalc68; 03-19-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

21 15/16 & 12 13/16, so that's plus 3 7/16 or 3.44". Pretty tall on a 2 door.

Thanks for the measurements. Are you sure you didn't end up with the 3" springs? Everyone says the EVO springs are closer to advertised height, so I'm really surprised you ended up with so much lift with the 2" springs. I was shooting for no more than 2.5". My front end is a little heavier than yours, but not enough to make it come out that much different.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I called EVO and they gave me the part #. I saw a thread somewhere, either here or WAL, that said 2 doors were getting more height in front. I think I'm going to pull them & put some 2" spacers up front with the 18 coils I have and see how that works. It's really nose high, now. I'll save the coils until I get heavy in front, maybe, although I sat on the bumper and it only dropped 1/2 inch or a little more & I weigh 220.
Thanks for the measurements. Are you sure you didn't end up with the 3" springs? Everyone says the EVO springs are closer to advertised height, so I'm really surprised you ended up with so much lift with the 2" springs. I was shooting for no more than 2.5". My front end is a little heavier than yours, but not enough to make it come out that much different.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Decided to use 18/59 Springs & Spacers

I got too much lift out of the EVO coils, since I don't have any weight on the Jeep, yet. I pulled the front EVO coils, that had given my about 3.5 inches, and put the 18 JKU springs in that came with the 59s I put in back. I added 1 inch Teraflex spacers and 1/2 inch Teraflex spacers to the front. By my measurements, that gave me 2.5 inches up front. The rear is the same as before, 59 JKU coils and 1 inch Teraflex spacers, that raised it 1.75 inches in the rear. That is a net lift of 2.125 inches. More like what I wanted for now.

I am at 21 inches at the shock (stock Wranglers are about 18.5) The center photograph is the middle of the front fender, in line with the wheel center cap. Stock measurement was 36 inches.

That would mean, the 18/59 JKU springs gave me about 3/4 inch in the rear and 1 inch in the front.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3596.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	602353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3599.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	602354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3586.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	602355  
Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here She Sits with the New Suspension Set Up

First photo is after installation. Second, is with stock suspension. That's probably as tall as I'll ever go. If I ever run 35's, I'll do flat fender flares.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3536.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	602356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3600.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	602357  

Last edited by notnalc68; 03-21-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor

First photo is after installation. Second, is with stock suspension. That's probably as tall as I'll ever go. If I ever run 35's, I'll do flat fender flares.
Do what's your initial impression of the EVO coils?

Michael @ Level 10

Quick Reply: Clay's Slow Build Thread