Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

A few more.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing talent. I love seeing things like this.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing workmanship, for sure. A little square for my preferences, but I know that's the look you're trying to achieve so I applaud you. Thoughts on painting the fenders the same color as the hardtop? I think it would look good and tie in the sandy brown.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks incredible. The only thing bugging my eye is that rear leg turning trapezoidal at the bottom, instead of maintaining the profile of the front and top parts.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
A few more.
Looks great. One minor thing, I'm not sure if it's the angle of the photos, but it appears the fenders are slightly narrower than the factory rear bumper. Just little details that seem to make the design flow a little better if they were the same width where the meet. Overall awesome design though and keep up the good work!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk_krawler86
amazing talent. I love seeing things like this.
Originally Posted by QPDO
Amazing workmanship, for sure.
Thank you very much .
Old 06-09-2017, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by QPDO
... A little square for my preferences, but I know that's the look you're trying to achieve so I applaud you. Thoughts on painting the fenders the same color as the hardtop? I think it would look good and tie in the sandy brown.
I'm still tweaking with the corner radius, although it doesn't show in the cardboard mockups. I've implemented the concept on the left in cardboard, but I may do something more like the concept on the right when I do the mold masters.

The fronts are the way they are because I designed them to be very faithful to the original. Wouldn't want to change them - I like them exactly the way they are .

Here are three color options - black as the fronts currently are, body color, and Spice to match the hardtop.

I'll probably paint my final fenders body color, for two reasons - first, because the fenders on almost all of the original Willys were body color. Second, since the original Willys didn't have rear fenders, I want the rear fenders to visually blend into the body a bit more than they would if they were black or Spice.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Erok
Looks incredible. The only thing bugging my eye is that rear leg turning trapezoidal at the bottom, instead of maintaining the profile of the front and top parts.
One of the details I'm still playing with is how the rear inside edge of the wheel arch gets trimmed - because the bumper wraps so far forward towards the wheel arch, the front of the bumper can be forward of the back inside edge of the fender wheel arch. There are a number of ways to trim the fender to accommodate this. Also, different aftermarket bumpers might look better with one of the trim options below or even a different one. I'm going to make the molds so that any of the trimming options below are possible so I don't have to decide this now, but here are a few ways it could be done...

Since the fenders will come out of the molds with enough material to support any of the trim options, that can be decided when they go on. Also makes me think that if these became a commercial product maybe they should have the largest trim option (E), and the user could be supplied with templates and photos like this so they could decide which trim option they like best.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GTJeeper
Looks great. One minor thing, I'm not sure if it's the angle of the photos, but it appears the fenders are slightly narrower than the factory rear bumper. Just little details that seem to make the design flow a little better if they were the same width where the meet. Overall awesome design though and keep up the good work!
Good eye - the cardboard mockups are slightly narrow; the final fenders will be a little bit wider.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Body Color fenders follows through on the Classic theme , great look and Function.
The only thing I worry about is that the fiberglass is unyielding, any hit on it will be to the body panels. The current material flexes and gives enough to escape damage.
If they go to production, would they be fiberglass, or maybe both ? Choice

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop