Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Did a Thule roof rack on a 2 door hard top

Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Just wanted to update, I took the bars off last night and put the foot caps on. They stick up less than 1.5" from the hard top and offer no wind resistance that I can hear. There are 2 hex bolts per foot to remove the bars but it might take 5 minutes worst case to get the bars on or off. Since the upper part of the foot stays attached to the bar, there's nothing to measure or adjust when putting them back on. They just fall neatly into place.

It's raining again today and still not a drop through the tracks so I'm considering this a success. I'll put some more pictures up when I get snowboards and the surfboard up there.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great install. Can I ask what you used for the support bar on the underside of the roof top inside? I thought of doing that and just haven't gotten around to it. How thick is it?

Here's mine:

Last edited by RalphTomaccio; 06-12-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

That install looks very professional!!! Great job! I may need to copy that myself
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
Great install. Can I ask what you used for the support bar on the underside of the roof top inside? I thought of doing that and just haven't gotten around to it. How thick is it?
It's 1/8" thick steel flat bar from home depot. I had space for the 3/4" wide bars and I cut them to length, drilled and painted them. Load distribution is key for the fiberglass top's survival! (at least I think so)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

@Ralph, how did you handle the thicker areas of the top (thicker area running across the vehicle)? Did you use longer bolts or just skip that area? I have read of someone spraying some low expansive foam in the top void to keep it from squeezing together. Any issues with this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrenglejr
@Ralph, how did you handle the thicker areas of the top (thicker area running across the vehicle)? Did you use longer bolts or just skip that area? I have read of someone spraying some low expansive foam in the top void to keep it from squeezing together. Any issues with this?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Bill,

Skipped that area. Just strategically space the bolts to avoid those cross pieces. You should be able to get at least 5-6 on each side.

No issues with the squeezing. icrashbikes put a metal bar between the nuts and roof on each side to spread the tension, which I plan on doing as well. It's a good idea!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Ralph!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Great job !

Thank you for all this info !!! , I just made an order for my 2013 2 Door Freedom Edition a few minutes ago - total was $323 ( i got the same parts )

Can't wait start working on it !!!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

@icrashbikes

Loved the look of your set up and you inspired me to do the same. Got everything I thought I needed; turns out I got TB42 and not the TB60 which comes with hardware for a steel install.... Devastated! I know that you used mostly your own hard ware and I'm hoping I can get everything I will need in a trip to Home Depot. Can you please provide specifically what I will need to replicate a hardware set for the 60 inch?!

-slow in NH

Quick Reply: Did a Thule roof rack on a 2 door hard top