Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

DIY Hoist

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
I'm gonna sound stupid, but how do you go about releasing the hardtop and putting it back on the Jeep without having it drop from the ceiling? I know you don't just unclip the ratchet and let it fly but i just wanna know for when i make a hardtop hoist. Thanks!
The straps I use have a reverse function...which slowly release the tension for each crank/articulation.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did not read through the entire post.

Looks good, but i do see one problem. You might cause damage to the weather stripping/seal along the back window. From what i can see it looks like the straps go through the window. The strap might make the weather seal change its shape over time.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evan631
I did not read through the entire post.

Looks good, but i do see one problem. You might cause damage to the weather stripping/seal along the back window. From what i can see it looks like the straps go through the window. The strap might make the weather seal change its shape over time.

Just my two cents.
Yeah i agree and have looked at this. I use the hoist twice a year so maybe that might prolong the wear. Ill keep an eye on it just in case.

Maybe there is a way I can mod it to not hit the weather seal.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Paws
Maybe there is a way I can mod it to not hit the weather seal.
This was also my concern, and also if there is any risk in leaving the hard top hanging from this hoist setup. I've read that people have had experience with the fiberglass warping...but then again..they were hoisting via hooks.

I plan to take the hardtop off on Fridays, and leave it hanging all weekend long.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paws
Nice, got any pics? I will prolly upgrade to better straps some day.
Here you go...

And close up of the hook, which I really liked. There's no way the strap is slipping out of the eyes.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

This is really clean. I have been checking on DIY hoists for the last few days, and I already have everything to do the job.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Both sets of pictures are very informative. I think I need to get better straps, but they should not cost much.

Last edited by wired; 03-21-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Default Thanks Paws!

I also used your method! Works like a champ!

Quick Reply: DIY Hoist