Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

e-Auto Grilles Bumpers info

Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murray
I took delivery of my rear bumper/tire carrier, installed it and had a horrible time trying to line everything up.

Basically the bumper was twisted from the heat of the welding at the latch base. It twisted the bumper up on the driver side approx. 1/4". Not much, but enough to cause problems with the carrier being able to clear the ledge without strongarming it up into position. With tire mounted I could do it with a little strain. Meg could not budge it at all. With the primitive pivot system this situation would only get worse in time, not better. Shimming the carrier up might have helped but there wasn't enough room to raise it up that high.

The other issue I had was that the mounting plate at the hitch was twisted just enough that when fully bolted down tight, it pushed the top of the carrier inward about 1/2" away from the back of the door. The only way to fix it would be to shim the hitch out, which in itself would have been possible, however the other issue was that when fully bolted down, the bumper also rubbed against the passenger side of the tub and I can't imagine dropping onto a rock, that it wouldn't crush into the tub doing significant damage. What that means is that I would not only have had to shim the bumper to tilt the carrier away from the door, but also I would have to shim it out so that the passenger side didn't rub as well. All of these adjustments must be made from the hitch plate in order to align everything up correctly before bolting down the connections at the frame.

Now, I was very willing to invest the time with these adjustments considering the price, but when you add up all the little issues coupled with the fact that this bumper really wasn't built to be used offroad, I had to make an executive decision to just say 'when'.

I can't imagine climbing or descending up a bunch of large boulders and not having the lower lip of this bumper catching up and not wanting to let you slide off an obstacle. For those of you who have not seen this bumper up close and personal, the bottom of the bumper is just a lip angled downward with no return back toward the frame of the jeep. If you climb over a boulder and happen to drop down on either side of the hitch, it's just gonna catch and grab hold. Best case scenario is that you just get hung up and have to back up a little to free yourself. Worst case scenario is that you grab hold and peel the bumper back, completely tweeking it out of shape, instead of simply sliding over...bummer design. If you keep this bumper and do use it offroad, weld a return on the bottom to avoid this.

This next item is really just my own little gripe and again, something you will have to remedy. When you open the carrier to access your back door, there is no stop mechanism at all. The carrier is free to swing around and bash into the car next to you or if your on the trail and just happen to be going up an incline (I know it seems like an odd thing to do, but I have actually had my jeep on a slight incline or two) and you are stopped and just happen to open the carrier and let it go, it's gonna slam into the tub all kinds of up close and personal like!, and that my friends is gonna make you want to go to Cali and get all up close and personal with e-AutoGrilles

So... I am returning the bumper. It really boiled down to the fact that the bumper I received was just very poorly built and the quality control was basically non-existent. Had it been just a couple of minor items I would have dealt with it. It was simply too poorly built and I can't imaging having it last me for more that one or two trips before it drove me crazy. To say the least, e-AutoGrilles was not thrilled with this at all but so far they have been willing to take the bumper back. If they try to stick me for a 20% restocking fee, we will have another entirely different thread to start reading.

Bottom line; I suggest that if you do any real offroad driving, don't buy this bumper. IT IS CRAP! If all you do is drive around town, perhaps it will work for you. Just give your insurance company a heads up that they will be receiving some claims after you swing the carrier open and forget it doesn't have a stop...whoops!

This is just one bad experience and hopefully nothing like this gets out there to anyone else. My guess however is that as the demand for these items go up, the quality is going to go way down. I'd personally like to see everyone STOP BUYING these bumpers, let e-AutoGrilles know that there are some real flaws/issues that need to be addressed prior to releasing anymore to the public. The consumer should not have to be the R&D team for any business.
Due to the issues I have had with E autogrilles customer service (or lack there of) and the quality of the bumpers finish, I am like you I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of these. I was planning on raptor lining mine to take care of the finish but know i have to find a way to re-latch mine.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by muddenjeep
Due to the issues I have had with E autogrilles customer service (or lack there of) and the quality of the bumpers finish, I am like you I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of these. I was planning on raptor lining mine to take care of the finish but know i have to find a way to re-latch mine.
Rubber mallet, dead blow...beat the shit out of it and break it lose. Grease where you can...take it apart. It can't be THAT seized up.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKEdge
Rubber mallet, dead blow...beat the shit out of it and break it lose. Grease where you can...take it apart. It can't be THAT seized up.
I have tried all of those things. It doesn't budge!! It will not push in or rotate at all!! I sent them a video of me trying to open it today. If they still don't help me, I WILL post video on youtube and link to every jeep forum, I am on, showing the issues with handle and the rust issues after 2 weeks. I don't feel like I am asking to much of them, all i want is a new handle, but 3 weeks and no help. I know most haven't had issues but I just want to let everyone know that not everyone is having great experenice with this company.

Last edited by muddenjeep; 02-21-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

I have tried all of those things. It doesn't budge!! It will not push in or rotate at all!!
Then you need more influence. Sledge? Big ass boot?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try loosening the bolts on the hinge, I noticed they were loose and tightened them but this resulted in the handle not being able to be pulled out. Just a shot, hope it works out for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

I have taken it apart, greased, beat the shit out if it!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Is there more in there than a spring?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Thats what she said.

sorry man i had to
Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am sorry you have had issues murray but I am not sure I agree with all of your comments. It does sound like you got a bad bumper but many of us have had no issues. Mine lined right up on all 8 bolts. I agree that the swing arm doesn't have a stop but mine is tight enough that it swings easily but doesn't go flying when I open it. Also, I seriously wheel my jeep and while it could get hung up it hasn't happened to me. Actually a came down hard on it on Saturday when I came off a rock ledge. I think I chipped the rock. The hitch mount acts as a slide and has the beef to support the jeep.

I am not trying to minimize your issues, just saying that for the price I couldn't be happier. I hope they take care of your bumper though.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Infinity
I am sorry you have had issues murray but I am not sure I agree with all of your comments. It does sound like you got a bad bumper but many of us have had no issues. Mine lined right up on all 8 bolts. I agree that the swing arm doesn't have a stop but mine is tight enough that it swings easily but doesn't go flying when I open it. Also, I seriously wheel my jeep and while it could get hung up it hasn't happened to me. Actually a came down hard on it on Saturday when I came off a rock ledge. I think I chipped the rock. The hitch mount acts as a slide and has the beef to support the jeep.

I am not trying to minimize your issues, just saying that for the price I couldn't be happier. I hope they take care of your bumper though.
x2

Quick Reply: e-Auto Grilles Bumpers info